Smart key not so smart

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

The Battery is always an issue with the amount of electronics on this car. Stop/Start is usually the initial error and thus disabled on fasult(s). Faults related can occur for other reasons which means the ECU cannot control the engine correctly..fuelling/exhaust/ABS

Your car needs a specific Stop/Start Battery and the AGM type is recommended. Make = VARTA. Standard lead acid type batteries are unsuitable.

What Battery is installed currently?. Make/Type and AH capacity

The Key Fob error is unusual really other than a Key Fob Battery weakness.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

Plumbob
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Plumbob »

I had this a few times. Sorted it by fitting a good quality fob battery,, duracel, etc, rather than a cheap supermarket brand.
hootintootin
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by hootintootin »

Plumbob wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:33 pm I had this a few times. Sorted it by fitting a good quality fob battery,, duracel, etc, rather than a cheap supermarket brand.
Yes so often over-looked. Only use Daracell or Panasonic something like that. I've had other brands or non-brands and all in the packet can be as good as useless.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
Feeky

Post by Feeky »

Fob battery was changed for a Panasonic one in the summer and then again recently by a local garage with their stock. I hoped the use good quality ? (Cost me £8!!!)
The car battery replacement was done at the dealership. They knew about the start/stop issue and just assumed they knew what kind to replace with… I will try and check the type.

I’m wondering if on the days the key works it’s due to car battery having a good charge. The days it’s doesn’t could be when car battery is charge ? Could something be draining the battery when it’s parked? I always leave auto lights on etc Or maybe it’s just not charging correctly. Is there a way to test voltage /read voltage, Using the cars controls? Or do I need to get a voltage meter?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Feeky wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:28 am Fob battery was changed for a Panasonic one in the summer and then again recently by a local garage with their stock. I hoped the use good quality ? (Cost me £8!!!)
The car battery replacement was done at the dealership. They knew about the start/stop issue and just assumed they knew what kind to replace with… I will try and check the type.

I’m wondering if on the days the key works it’s due to car battery having a good charge. The days it’s doesn’t could be when car battery is charge ? Could something be draining the battery when it’s parked? I always leave auto lights on etc Or maybe it’s just not charging correctly. Is there a way to test voltage /read voltage, Using the cars controls? Or do I need to get a voltage meter?

View the vid attached mainly at the beginning. Gets you into the hidden service menu. Check Batt and charging volts there. You can use it while driving to see the charge exceed 13.5 volts usually.

Check volts before you start after car stopped some hours. Should not be below about 11.5 volts

Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Feeky

Post by Feeky »

Excellent!! Thanks!
Feeky

Post by Feeky »

So I’ve tried all of the above, it’s not the fob battery and it’s not the car battery.
Does anyone have any more ideas?
Feeling really frustrated now as it can go for days working fine then suddenly takes a while to respond to unlock doors (using the buttons on the car) and won’t start the car straight away (so times there’s no display for a while or images of the start button signalling to Key fob,and warning incorrect key ID ). Sometimes after a while car seems to reset itself and display for ‘start button and clutch’ appears and then it recognises the key signal to start, but other times I have to hold fob to start button to reset display etc.

Somedays its fine unlocking but not to start the car and then sometimes it won’t unlock (unless I use the buttons on the fob) and will start the car …I just can’t work why some days it fine and not others.
The wait can be anything from 10sec - 1 min. I know it seems insignificant but it’s annoying to have tech in a car that doesn’t work and if I’m honest it plays on my mind - a lot!
If I take it to the dealer are they even going or be able to find a problem for something so intermittent. Will they likely still charge if they don’t find anything ?
Deleted User 3720

Post by Deleted User 3720 »

May not be the answer to your problem but I have had problems with 1 of my key fobs and spent a fortune on new quality batteries to no avail then came across this you tube vid about cleaning contacts.
He's using a different fob but basically the principal is the same. I did mine and can only say that SO FAR the fob is now working as it should. Maybe worth a try as a last resort?
Feeky

Post by Feeky »

Thanks I’ll give that ago 🙂