Smart key not so smart

ICE, Equipment, Options
RichardLynch
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by RichardLynch »

Qashqai 2015
Noticed the proximity sensor for opening the doors by just pressing the outside entry button on the handles wasn’t working well. Temperamental.
Once in the car the screen would show Key ID incorrect and wouldn’t let me turn on the ignition unless I took the key up to the ignition on button and pressed it with the key fob itself.
Therefore we replaced the battery.

However this has continued immediately since changing the battery in the keyfob. The unlock and lock buttons on the key work 100% of the time. It’s just anything which involves proximity (to the handles or the ignition switch).

Any ideas?

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Have you tried the other key? Same issue?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
conrail

Post by conrail »

I have had this occure twice, I sat there and locked then unlocked the car whilst in it and the key was recognised, at first I thought if it doesn't recognise the key it wont lock the car but it did
Feeky
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Feeky »

Hi Richard to you find a soloution? I’ve been experiencing the same issue intermittently for nearly a year now. It’s getting really annoying. Not sure garage will find a problem if I book it in as some days it works some it doesn’t.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

RichardLynch wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:54 pm Qashqai 2015
Noticed the proximity sensor for opening the doors by just pressing the outside entry button on the handles wasn’t working well. Temperamental.
Once in the car the screen would show Key ID incorrect and wouldn’t let me turn on the ignition unless I took the key up to the ignition on button and pressed it with the key fob itself.
Therefore we replaced the battery.

However this has continued immediately since changing the battery in the keyfob. The unlock and lock buttons on the key work 100% of the time. It’s just anything which involves proximity (to the handles or the ignition switch).

Any ideas?

Is that all 3 handles..Driver, Passenger Front and Hatch?

This kind of thing is about processing the Key Fob ID correctly. So that the car verifies the right Key Fob
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Feeky

Post by Feeky »

Yes all doors can decide not to unlock at random times. I mainly use driver and hatch so that’s where o notice it more

When it happenes I can only unlock/lock the door when I use the remote buttons on fob.

And then the car won’t start: the start screen doesn’t even come on it’s as if car is a asleep mode.
When I try to start ‘key ID incorrect’ message comes up.
Only way to start car is to hold the fob up to start button almost like a rest set.

It could be fine fir the rest of the day if I use the car again or go bust again, no obvious pattern at all.
Sometimes days of working fine then days if of being working intermittently. Last few months it’s become more of a problem so I really need to find a solution.
I’m also concerned it’s an indication of something major wrong ie the car computer rather than the fob itself.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

You don't say whether you've tried changing the batteries in the i-key. Also did you try this:
gloucester wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:45 pm Have you tried the other key? Same issue?
Last edited by gloucester on Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
hootintootin
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by hootintootin »

If the car key is in your pocket...what else is in your pocket? Mobile phone? Things like that can block or diminish signal between car and fob. Also buy duracell or other HQ battery for the fob. cheap batteries are crap even when new.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I'll repeat a post (@gloucester) above...have you tried your spare Key Fob...if you have one?

Starting with the Key Fob against the START button indicates a Key Fob problem...or the pick up from the START button which is a antenna similar to that on the door handles.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Feeky

Post by Feeky »

Hi thanks all !!!
yes I replaced battery twice this year. No difference.
Also issue happens for both fobs. The spare hasn’t been used for 3yrs and I tested the battery.
I’ve also made sure recently key is not near my phone when trying to open or start car.
This was never a problem before anyway as for the last 3 years my key was always in my bag with my mobile and everything work instantly.

History :
About 1 year ago a message came up on screen stating key battery low or something like that can’t remember exactly so change it. Seemed ok but then stop/start function of the car stopped working for a while and then main car battery just died
Strangely, I never got a warning for car battery being low prior.
Got a new car battery fitted and everything worked well again foe about a month. Then car wouldn’t start blank display everything time I entered car had to reset key fob on start button to get the display up.
Then no unlocking /locking and incorrect key message & issues again. Changed fob battery in Feb. No difference.

Stop/start also seems random. So I’m wondering if it’s a pattern linked to the main car battery ? Maybe it’s about to die again.
There’s no white stop/ start symbol displayed in the bottom right corner should there be one ?
I seem to remember a white one was in the corner. I can’t find anything in manual only about the flashing white one which I did see before the car battery died but I swear after the car battery was change there was a solid white symbol for a while????
There nothing now Just a green one when it doing the start/stops in traffic.
This incorrect key is irritating and I guess I can live with it but I do wonder if it’s a precursor to a main car battery issue or Media unit fault ? Any possibility ?