Buzzing On Acceleration

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Groover
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Groover »

Late 2015 model. If I accelerate moderately quickly from 20MPH to 40MPH at around 2,500 RPM I hear a buzzing noise coming from the front of the car. It's not too loud but it is obvious. It has been occurring for a few months and hasn't gotten worse. It doesn't sound metallic. It doesn't occur at higher speeds.

I am not sure if it goes away when the car is warmed up but I did notice at the end of a 2.5 hour drive the other day that it didn't seem to be making it. However I need to pay more attention to be sure.

I took it to my local trusted Indy (Nissan dealer is quite a trip) and they couldn't see anything loose and couldn't identify the cause. They suggested turbo or timing chain, but recommended to just keep an eye on it. Car needed two quarts of oil (last checked eight to 11 months ago).

I tried the suggested airbox rattle fix on here - two screws and some felt - and now the airbox is firmly on the car but the noise is still there.

If the car is stationary and I rev the engine to around 3,000 RPM I don't hear it - engine sounds nice and smooth. Does this rule out the timing chain as the cause?

Thanks for any input!
Last edited by Groover on Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michaelx
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by michaelx »

Mine makes the same noise, I had the timing chain replaced a month ago and is still making the same buzzing noise .

I will try and add a video of my car
michaelx

Post by michaelx »

Groover

Post by Groover »

Yes, that sounds like mine, except yours is far louder. I doubt I could catch mine on a video. Did the dealer recommend changing the timing chain? What about the tensioner? Does yours do it when stationary and you rev the engine?
michaelx

Post by michaelx »

Yeah they said straight away it needed changing. The tensioner and chain were changed. It makes the same noise when the car is stationary. Going to have to take it back again for more investigations
Groover

Post by Groover »

I think your problem is different to mine because you get it when stationary. I'm thinking mine might be the turbo.
ARag

Post by ARag »

Hi, I appreciate this is 5 years later but did you ever find out the cause. I am having the same issue with my qashqai. Following a new turbo, an oil change, a full service and “popping a lose pipe back in” and £1.5k later the noise is still there. Thanks