ULTRA THIN LED STRIP - WHITE/ORANGE

Post pictures of your QashQai here!
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Sorry but if your electrical experience is such that you wired it up as you stated directly to the battery - and was surprised that the lights stayed on - then I suggest you take it to an auto electrician.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

jamster
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by jamster »

Sorry to jump on an old thread. I have a QQ J11 and have wired the LED strips up with a 12v relay. There's a pink wire from the back of the headlight units which goes into the connector box (to the right to the green connector).

This pink wire is for your DRL / sidelights. It works only when the ignition is off, so DRLs power on with unlock/lock/stay on for x seconds once you've locked the car, etc.

The 12v changeover relay allows me to tap into this DRL feed. Also, when the ignition is on, the relay switches to the ignition live feed (the DRL feed dies when ignition is turned on).

For anyone who is interested about the relay wiring:

86 = Switched/Ignition Live (Green connector, white wire as per video)
85 = Ground (white connector, black wire)
87 = Switched/Ignition Live (Connect 86 and 87 together)
87a = DRL feed (Ignition off) (Pink wire in white connector, adjacent to the green connector - to the right of it as you look at it)
30 = Cable for the lighting which you route out of the connector box and feed to both LED strips on the headlight units (to the red wire)

I think this is a better finish as the LED strips now work 100% in sync with the DRL.

I didn't take many pictures of what I did, but when you open the connector box there is a green connector closest to the front grille - the white wire in this connector is the switched live.
Adjacent to that on the right is a white connector. You'll see a pink (DRL) wire in it and a black (ground). You know it's the right connector because if you follow the wires it'll take you to the nearside headlight unit from under the fuse box.

Attaching a picture - I hope it makes some sense?

IMG_20210421_142323.jpg

The yellow wire on the LED strip goes to the positive on the indicator and the black can be the negative/ground

I hope that helps someone out there! :)