TB EM 15/05 - 1.2 Petrol DIG-T Engine Oil Loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
anzan
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by anzan »

Hi, I've just joined this forum because of this problem.

65 plate Qashqai, I've owned for 8 months, 30,000 miles on the clock, of which I have done 5k. Came with 12 month RAC platinum warranty from the dealer.

Full dealership history, former motability car. Yesterday it suddenly started juddering, towed home and today I've found it needs a new engine, approximately £10k.

Will the warranty cover it? Will Nissan? I didn't buy a car for it to die at 30,000 miles. Surely that makes it unfit for purpose?

Has anyone got any advice or information update that might help here please?

Thank you.

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I assume you've found the longest topic on this forum about the 1.2 engine. This is just a taster! :(

However assuming a full Nissan dealership service history as you've suggested, and a warranty you potentially have a stronger case than many people.

You'll have to read the warranty particulars carefully, before you go to the dealer. Obviously there may be exclusions and there may be claims limits. I can't find relevant documents on the internet strangely though I have found this at a non-RAC site:

RAC Platinum Maintenance & Breakdown covers ALL Mechanical & Electrical components for failure to perform their normal function. Platinum Maintenance & Breakdown is available for vehicles up to 7 Years with less than 70,000 miles at inception.

There are no mileage restrictions after inception and obviously, there are a few exceptions such as service items, wear and tear items such as brake pads plus of course components that are not mechanical or electrical such as glass or bodywork. Please ask our Sales Consultant for the full component coverage and terms and conditions.

and this elsewhere:

Aggregate claim limit up to the original purchase price of the vehicle (individual claims limits apply)
- note rider...

I'm assuming you have a Platinum warranty and not a Platinum Plus one.

Hence https://www.rac.co.uk/car-care/car-warranty:

Depending on the warranty you have, you may need to pay to diagnose the problem.

If you have a Platinum Plus warranty: for valid claims we’ll cover up to £50 including VAT, or 1 hour’s labour (whichever is lower) to diagnose what’s wrong.
If you have a Platinum, Gold or Silver warranty: you’ll need to cover the initial diagnosis. Prices can vary by garage so always check how much it’ll cost first. And have a look at your Ts & Cs to make sure any work required will be covered.

Of course you may find you have a receptive dealer and he waives that since he knows immediately what the problem is.

Note also:

Some RAC warranties cover hire car costs of up £50 per day for 7 days in the event of a valid claim if the Autodata or equivalent recommended repair time exceeds 8 hours.

But please check your terms and conditions to see if you’re covered.

Good Luck !!! Keep us informed.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I've now found this albeit it may not be current since it's not on an RAC site:

https://www.wavvehicles.co.uk/img-src/_ ... atinum.pdf
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)