Air Con Problem

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
ubix418
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ubix418 »

Hi
I have a 2016 1.6 diesel manual. My air con keeps going form cold to warm. When It went into Nissan for its 2nd service I asked them to look at it, they told me not a problem and works fine. And it did for about 6 days afterwards, but now it only works for short periods and then it blows out warm air. Has anyone had this problem, Nissan are saying it needs re gassing but surely the fact it works for a few days then on and off means the gas is OK and should it run out of gas after 2 years (27k miles). Any help would be appreciated.

Gel

Post by Gel »

Pse always use SEARCH before starting new thread.
Input "air con condenser" and you'll see multiple threads on issue :P
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

w.r.t. re-gassing, if you have used the air con frequently then, as you say, it should be OK.
If you use it infrequently, there's a possibility that the seals could have dried out allowing coolant to leak.
Equally there's a chance that a stone chip has pierced the air con radiator.

There have been a number of threads about air con, the search function on here works well

one thing I have noticed with my air con

I always have the air con on and I always have it on "auto".
This makes the system work as a kind of climate control.
Therefore, when I set a temperature the air comes out of the vents as either warm air or cool air (sometimes freezing cold air) dependent on the temperature that the system measures in the cabin.
So if I'm sat in the sun for a while in winter, I find cool air coming into the cabin.
Likewise starting up in a nice cool covered car park in summer the system blows warm air and works to bring the temperature (cooler than the set temperature) up to the temperature I have requested.

Good Luck
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
ubix418

Post by ubix418 »

My problem does not fit with the others. Today I drove 15 miles air con did not work. Got in car to drive 15 miles home air con worked all the way it’s just so intermittent I can’t find a pattern.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Sounds like you need to take the car to the dealers when its not working and making sure you don't turn off the engine. A total pain, but its probably the only way unless they can keep the car for a while & the mech drives it to & from work until he can see it fails to cool.
ubix418 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 pm My problem does not fit with the others. Today I drove 15 miles air con did not work. Got in car to drive 15 miles home air con worked all the way it’s just so intermittent I can’t find a pattern.
ubix418

Post by ubix418 »

So a quick update, took my car in for regas, found fault with condenser which they replaced under warranty, but they still could not get the air con to work, so they thought it was a trapped wire and this was making in cut in and out, but no not that, then they thought there was fluid getting into a pipe it shouldn't as was freezing this was stopping air con working, but no not that so now they are going to replace the compressor and hope this will fix the problem. Compressor on back order so have to wait 2 weeks, we are currently in a heat wave and I have a car with no air con, my journey into work is sitting in traffic so that will be fun. Can't have a courtesy car as not a mechanical breakdown and car still drives. Has anyone else have this problem?
paplane

Post by paplane »

No, but sounds like you need to switch dealers. Bristol Street have provided me with a courtesy car for every single issue, however small and whether it's in for a warranty repair or a service. It's never an issue for them.

Re driving without air-con, I have sympathy for you on that regard, blimey that's going to be tough this week. How ever did we used to manage without? Seems outrageous having to drive without air con these days doesn't it?

I can remember when my dad fitted a radio in his car. It was an unbelievable that we could have such luxuries in our lives!!
ubix418

Post by ubix418 »

Well an update on my Aircon problems, under warranty they replaced my Condenser but did not fix problems so they thought it could be a trapped wire behind the dash board which was making it cut in and out, but no, so then they though it was getting fluid in a pipe it shouldn't and this was freezing but no, so in the end I had to wait for a new compressor and these were on back order. Nissan Bedford fitted compressor they though it was fixed I took car home but next day air con still the same, I get a really bad smell from it then blows out hot air, bad smell again blows out cold. Anybody got any ideas its due to go back to workshop on Monday.
sb3284
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by sb3284 »

ubix418 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 pm My problem does not fit with the others. Today I drove 15 miles air con did not work. Got in car to drive 15 miles home air con worked all the way it’s just so intermittent I can’t find a pattern.
Is it possibly so that it works only when it's a bit colder outside?

Then you have a refrigerant leak somewhere. When it's warmer outside there's not enough refrigerant to allow it to condensate in the condenser and then evaporate in the evaporator (give away the warmth and then absorbing the warmth: "creating" cold by transporting the warmth away).

It's usually the condenser that leaks since it's very exposed in the front of the car.

You would normally see declining performance and then it would stop cooling at all.

/Simon
blmguy1984

Post by blmguy1984 »

Good day. I have the same Qashqai here in SA. Nissan still struggling to get it fixed. My air con keeps going form cold to warm. it only works for short periods and then it blows out warm air. Has anyone had this problem. Parts replaced currently, Fan, AC Controle Unit, New Aircon Pump. Problem persist. Any solution to this.