Front and rear dash cam fitting

ICE, Equipment, Options
RVW

Post by RVW »

Done the searches but found nothing that seems to answer all the questions.
I am going to fit front and rear dash cams.
The main question is about cable routes.
I have found some answers on routing for the front camera ,but as yet nothing on the best route for the rear camera route. Have loosened the door seals with the idea of running the cable along between the roof lining and the seal( if that makes sense). On looking behind the seal and roof lining I find a curtain airbag :o
Would it be safe to run the camera cable in the small space along side the airbag? Or have I got to go the torturous route along the floor? In which case tree may not be enough cable.
Opinions please :)
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red

S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

I think it's such a shame that Nissan (and other manufacturers) don't offer the facility to continuously record the cars existing cameras, it'd be simpler, cleaner, and less expensive than fitting extra distractions in the Windows!

As for your question, I'd steer clear of routing cables past airbags, just in case they interfered with deployment. Couldn't you feed from a boot/armrest accessory socket or use a hardware-kit to the socked 12v supply? I dare say that there's a way to tap a feed from the towing electrics socket too, which would be even closer.
Gun-Metal DiG-T 140 Tekna Arrived 19-03-19
Gun-Metal 1.2 DiG-T N-Connecta [Comfort & Heat Packs] Arrived 27-05-16
RVW

Post by RVW »

Getting the 12v supply is not my concern. The rear camera has to be connected to the front camera via a cable.
One route is over the top i.e along the edge of the roof lining, or along the floor.
Not sure if the supplied cable is long enough to go the floor route. So that only leaves the roof lining route.
As the curtain airbag runs along there but there is a small space between it and the roof.
Somebody must have done it just find who.
Where would an auto-electrician run the cable?
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I haven't looked at the roof route and like you I'd probably be wary of interfering with areas near air bags. But if taking the floor route and the cable's not quite long enough, you can always extend it if it's the typical mini USB cam connector.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Ft-Mini-USB- ... 1465411183
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
RVW

Post by RVW »

The cable for the camera I have is a 2mm Jack plug. But still should not be a problem.
The other route that sprung to mind could be down the centre of the roof. Using a fish from back to front possibly?
Not sure what wires would be across there though.
But it is looking more like the floor route. Not looking forward to that!
bike kid

Post by bike kid »

i,d just get two cameras
RVW

Post by RVW »

bike kid wrote:i,d just get two cameras
Already got 2 it's just they need joining together :roll:
DanP
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DanP »

Hi, sorry for opening an old post but I am having the same problem with a RoadAngel Halo Pro install. I have managed to run the cable following the oem cable route (floor route) and I am about 0.5m short. RoadAngel has said that I cannot extend the cable and to follow the roof route. I have asked if they have evidence that installing a cable along this route will not impair the side curtain airbag and strangely enough I have so far not had a response!

How did you get round this? Any help and advise would great. The alternative I have is to rip out and installing two paired Garmin Mini Cameras if I can find a constant live in the boot.

Thanks,

Dan
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

DanP wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:24 am Hi, sorry for opening an old post but I am having the same problem with a RoadAngel Halo Pro install. I have managed to run the cable following the oem cable route (floor route) and I am about 0.5m short. RoadAngel has said that I cannot extend the cable and to follow the roof route. I have asked if they have evidence that installing a cable along this route will not impair the side curtain airbag and strangely enough I have so far not had a response!

How did you get round this? Any help and advise would great. The alternative I have is to rip out and installing two paired Garmin Mini Cameras if I can find a constant live in the boot.

Thanks,

Dan
No real help here...but just looked at my car headliner and floor. Pretty damned awkward I'd say. I think I'd persevere with the floor run adding a USB extension of about 1 or 2 mtrs...likely the latter?

I can't see if the Road Angel is running on 12v or 5v? Video is likely at 1v composite and thats where the cable length might be an issue. I'd keep everything away from the airbag in the top B pillar.....post with lock on.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DanP

Post by DanP »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The Halo is 12v feed to the main unit so I assume that it is the same to the rear. RoadAngel has said that cable is unique to the product so a 3rd party extension will not work but I could cut and extend myself if I am happy having lower video quality on the rear camera. I guess this means the pin arrangement is unique. If I go this route is will probably strip a old hdmi cable and use get bootlace crimps.

Looking at a few other car forums, the question of running it alongside the side curtain airbag seems like a common question. The suggestion was to go the roof route but route the cable on the inside of the airbag and secure it to keep it out of the way. I will have a look tonight.