1st gear selection problem

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
coolamasta

Post by coolamasta »

Hi All,I am looking at buying a friends Qashqai as our new family car, its a 57 plate 2.0 DCi Tekna and only on 36k, the car is it great condition throughout.Only problem is when taking it for a drive yesterday I notice that when you go for 1st gear if you push gear stick all the way to the left then try to go up for first it wont go in at all, you have to very very lightly push it to the left before it will slot into 1st, any less pressure and it will go into 3rd! Same for 2nd if you go right over to the left it wont go into 2nd either.Anyone have or heard of this?! They say its been like it since they bought it and got used to it but I really don't like it as it seems very temperamental, are the gear linkages adjustable on these?If anyone can shed any light on it then it would be much appreciated as I think this will make or break me buying it I think Thanks for y our time

coolamasta2015-06-08 09:51:23

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Couple of thoughts.If you go hard to the left you might be getting into the "gate" of reverse?Are you currently driving a car where reverse is down and to the right?Personally I've found that there are a couple of cars i can't get on with (not a QQ) because the clutch pedal is ridiculously high and is a quirk of those vehicles.My view is that if you aren't happy with it then don't buy it, especially if it's a friends car.Falling out over a car, especially if it has an issue, isn't worth it.An alternative option would be to try find a dealer with a car of similar age and ask for a test drive in one of those (to see if it's the same).
Nissan no more...
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Best asked on the J10 thread, this a J11 one.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Moved
coolamasta

Post by coolamasta »

[quote="AlleyCat"]Couple of thoughts.If you go hard to the left you might be getting into the "gate" of reverse?Are you currently driving a car where reverse is down and to the right?Personally I've found that there are a couple of cars i can't get on with (not a QQ) because the clutch pedal is ridiculously high and is a quirk of those vehicles.My view is that if you aren't happy with it then don't buy it, especially if it's a friends car.Falling out over a car, especially if it has an issue, isn't worth it.An alternative option would be to try find a dealer with a car of similar age and ask for a test drive in one of those (to see if it's the same).[/QUOTE]Thanks for the reply, my current car reverse is in the same place but you push the gearstick down rather than pull up a collar, just seems weird to me but as I say just trying to work out if its a by-design thing or an actual fault.I like the car and my friend is offering to us at a good price really which is good of them but just need to clear this up then once I know whats going on then we can decide whether to go for it.Nice idea with trying out another one, will have a scan on Autotrader and see if there are any of same model local I can go and see.I am just hoping its a slight linkage adjustment that's all but need to find someone that knows about them, I don't think if I called a Nissan dealer they would be able to tell me would they? Prob just say you will have to bring it in!Cheers
coolamasta

Post by coolamasta »

Still looking for answers if anyone can shed any more light on this :)
QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

as i understand the linkage is not really adjustable. It's a cable and as such sensitive for rust and obstruction. Another option: Does the clutch completely disengage the gearbox? If not selecting a gear can be difficult.Last but not least.. the syncromesh can be a problem.JM2C ..
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
caspermccormack
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by caspermccormack »

Had the same problem with first and second gear. Turned out to be an easy fix. The block that stops the gearstick from reverse has worn a groove in the plastic shrowd at the bottom of the gearstick. I cut and glued a 1mm metal plate to the size of the block. Works perfectly.

IMG_20211023_135351.jpg

IMG_20211023_135158.jpg

IMG_20211023_135209.jpg