Actual mileage different from distance to empty

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
langers1974
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by langers1974 »

Hello Everyone

I've just bought a brand new Qashqai Petrol (2024 reg) and whenever I take it for short trip, let's say 5-10 miles the distance to empty would drop by more than double the amount of the actual trip itself (ie a 5 mile trip would see the DTE go from 340 to 320. This is town driving, so lots of stop starts etc.

I.e today I put a full tank in, DTE was 415 and a couple of local journeys total of 10 miles. But the DTE has dropped to 360.

I bought it new with only 8 miles on the clock and so the bumper to bumper warranty will cover if anything is wrong. It doesn't seem like a consumption problem as the petrol gauge 'appears' to be accurate, certainly not depleting at the rate of the DTE display.

Has anyone had this problem before or heard of it? If so, what steps were taken to fix it and did it take a long time. I'm hoping it's a simple recalibration issue or a reset button that can be pressed somewhere?!?! Other than that, the car is fantastic.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Chris

hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

There's nothing wrong with the car.

The car calculates DTE dynamically based on the current mpg. So lots of small journeys with a cold engine you'll get low mpg on those journeys and as a result the DTE will drop significantly. If you do a nice long run you will find the DTE will increase if there have previously been lots of short journeys.

Enjoy the car and you'll see over the DTE change depending on your driving style and journey profile.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

With a series of short journeys I have seen my dte drop but then heading off on a long motorway journey it’s possible to see the dte figure increase
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

Our 2018 QQ recently had a spate of this?
I could visibly watch the MTE dropping by one or two miles every hundred yards or so. My usual journey of around 18/20 miles on the A9 at around 70mph usually on dropped the DTE by around 10 or so miles, been pretty much the same since we purchased the car (average 44mpg)
I first noticed it when I left the house to pick Mrs QQ up from the railway station 3 miles from our house, DTE said something like 120' ish however when I arrived at the station it had dropped to in the region of 90 miles? I was a little concerned thinking that I was losing fuel, maybe a holed fuel system? Car was going in for a service soon at Nissan so I asked them to check it over, report came back OK?
The DTE variance lasted for about a Month or so, I wasn't worried about running out of fuel as my fuel gauge was running pretty normal but I couldn't understand why the car said I may have used 50/60 miles of fuel every time I travelled my 18 mile trip???
Then out of the blue, everything returned to normal?
I'm putting it down to another Nissan Gremlin.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
egamar

Post by egamar »

You really only need to worry about the DTE figure when it is less than the distance to the nearest petrol station.
Tekna J12 e-Power.