Xtronic newbie

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
dendycat2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by dendycat2 »

Hi, I currently own a 2015 Tekna manual and am looking at buying a 2021 Tekna + Xtronic. I’ve never driven an automatic before apart from test driving an old xtrail but this model seems to have a park button rather than a park shift. Apologies for the stupid question, but do I move the car into neutral before pressing park or do you press it whilst in drive / reverse. TIA

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Bring the car to a stop, in the normal manner.
Press “P"
Put the handbrake on

Job done

Please make sure you actually test drive at least one automatic before you buy.
Make sure you tell the sales man/woman that you have no experience with automatic cars.
Make sure you book a handover session with the sales department, they will go through the various electronic gadgets with you and can reassure you if you have concerns.

Good Luck
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
dendycat2

Post by dendycat2 »

Thanks Mike, yes plan to test drive this week. The one is test drive was the old Nissan automatic system but 20 odd years with a manual makes a little nervous. Just I’m buying from a car supermarket rather than dealer so I’m not sure I’ll get the personal touch. Everybody says once you have an automatic you don’t go back so I’m hoping I’ll take it it.
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

The 'auto box' on the J12 is lovely.

Then add in hill hold, auto parking brake...it makes it all so easy...
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
dendycat2

Post by dendycat2 »

My current qashqai has the hill start function. I’m assuming the auto brake is the brake that kicks in when you hold the foot take for too long and this releases once you press the accelerator. The electronic brake is the handbrake? I’m probably not using the right terms. As long as I just need to shift once or twice then accelerate and brake then I’m hoping I’ll be ok.
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

It doesn’t matter where you buy and I heartily agree with getting the best possible deal, but think about test driving at a Nissan dealership and get all this stuff explained whilst you are sitting in the car.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
twodogz

Post by twodogz »

I've had a new J12 MH Xtronic for 3 months now. Wish I'd done it sooner, Absolute pleasure to drive. No going back now !
2023 J12 Mild Hybrid Xtronic N-Connecta in Storm White
highpeakrider
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by highpeakrider »

This is my first automatic and i’ve not been applying the parking brake based on the following from the manual , it always seem to go into park.

The parking brake will automatically release when you drive away.
With the vehicle stationary, the Electric Parking Brake is automatically applied when one of the following occurs:
* The engine is turned off.
* The driver’s seat belt is unfastened.
* The driver’s door is opened.
Xtronic transmission vehicles:
The parking brake will automatically release when you drive away using the accelerator with the transmission in D (Drive) or R (Reverse). For safety reasons, parking brake will not release automati- cally when the driver’s door is open.
vmaxphil

Post by vmaxphil »

When I told the salesman I hadn't driven an automatic before he went and got his crash helmet ! 🤔
dendycat2

Post by dendycat2 »

Just picked it up. Got the Xtronic 4wd and from a smaller dealer too. Just keep trying to change the gear but loving it so far. I’m not sure it had the auto brake function turned on as it kept rolling forward at the junctions but am still getting to grips with it.