Technicians won't install dash cam on my E power Tekna

ICE, Equipment, Options
NicoRitsua
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by NicoRitsua »

Hi,

I've just got a brand new (23 plate) E power Tekna. I wanted to hardwire a Nextbase 622GW dash cam into it. Nextbase had an offer for cheap fitting, and being a new driver with no technical car knowledge or skills with electronics, I thought I'd pay for them to install it, but they said they can't install on EV vehicles. Same response from Halfords, but neither of them could tell me why, but they both referenced E power Qashqais specifically, before I even told them that this is what I was driving.

I wanted to give it a go myself, if they won't do it for me, but I have zero knowledge of electronics and I don't want to start messing with the fuse box etc. when I don't understand what the issue is in the first place, or if what I propose to do is going to cause damage/safety issues. I've looked through other forums re. The Leaf, etc. and they all suggest that it's just the technicians not wanting to learn how to deal with an EV hybrid (and most people are saying not to let them touch your car at all) and that there's no reason at all as to why you can't do it yourself, by following the traditional methods.

I want to give it a try, but I'm apprehensive when I can't find any info. regarding E power Qashqais in particular. If anyone could explain why E power Qashqais might present a problem and advise me if there are any extraordinary steps that I would need to take, beyond what I've seen on YouTube for installing a cam in a standard/EV vehicle, I'd appreciate it.
2023 Tekna E-Power

SEK

Post by SEK »

NicoRitsua wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:20 am Hi,

I've just got a brand new (23 plate) E power Tekna. I wanted to hardwire a Nextbase 622GW dash cam into it. Nextbase had an offer for cheap fitting, and being a new driver with no technical car knowledge or skills with electronics, I thought I'd pay for them to install it, but they said they can't install on EV vehicles. Same response from Halfords, but neither of them could tell me why, but they both referenced E power Qashqais specifically, before I even told them that this is what I was driving.

I wanted to give it a go myself, if they won't do it for me, but I have zero knowledge of electronics and I don't want to start messing with the fuse box etc. when I don't understand what the issue is in the first place, or if what I propose to do is going to cause damage/safety issues. I've looked through other forums re. The Leaf, etc. and they all suggest that it's just the technicians not wanting to learn how to deal with an EV hybrid (and most people are saying not to let them touch your car at all) and that there's no reason at all as to why you can't do it yourself, by following the traditional methods.

I want to give it a try, but I'm apprehensive when I can't find any info. regarding E power Qashqais in particular. If anyone could explain why E power Qashqais might present a problem and advise me if there are any extraordinary steps that I would need to take, beyond what I've seen on YouTube for installing a cam in a standard/EV vehicle, I'd appreciate it.
That is interesting - when I ordered by car Nissan sent an email saying I could purchase the front and rear Kenwood dashcam and I added that to my order. I asked the dealer at the time if this would be professionally fitted (i.e. no loose wiring) and they said yes, and would be done at the time I collect my car. However, after reading your post I went back to the Nissan website and now it says the dashcam is not compatible with Qashqai 2021 - present but I have not been advised my the dealer to say otherwise: https://www.nissan.co.uk/owners/nissan- ... 93503.html
NicoRitsua

Post by NicoRitsua »

SEK wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:48 pm
NicoRitsua wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:20 am Hi,

That is interesting - when I ordered by car Nissan sent an email saying I could purchase the front and rear Kenwood dashcam and I added that to my order. I asked the dealer at the time if this would be professionally fitted (i.e. no loose wiring) and they said yes, and would be done at the time I collect my car. However, after reading your post I went back to the Nissan website and now it says the dashcam is not compatible with Qashqai 2021 - present but I have not been advised my the dealer to say otherwise: https://www.nissan.co.uk/owners/nissan- ... 93503.html
There's a few threads on here about people being sold the "official" Nissan dash cam for the E Power J12's, only to be told that they're not compatible when it comes to fitting.

Halfords came back to be and said its due to them not having the training or the tools for EVS. Apparently the wires are a much higher voltage, so it's a safety thing. Interestingly, Halfords Manchester said they could fit in hybrids and said that should include the E Power Qashqais. I've read some horror stories on here about Halfords though, so still not too sure what to do. Don't really feel comfortable trying top do it myself, now that I know it's a safety issue preventing the service centres from doing it.
2023 Tekna E-Power
egamar

Post by egamar »

NicoRitsua wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:52 pmHalfords came back to be and said its due to them not having the training or the tools for EVS. Apparently the wires are a much higher voltage, so it's a safety thing. I
The Head Elf in charge of Elven safety is an idiot. The 12v 'wires' are 12v. The HV wiring (420v ?) is nowhere near where any competent person would install a dashcam, like e.g. the fuse-boxes crammed full of 12v (and only 12v) wiring. Some people are unutterably and wilfully stupid or frightened by the Elves by anything remotely new.
Tekna J12 e-Power.
NicoRitsua

Post by NicoRitsua »

So… quick update (and shameless bump…). Still haven’t sorted the dash cam yet. Financial issues…bleh. But Halfords have now told me they are able to fit it twice and they’ve told me that they can’t once. RS Connect, who Nextbase are partnered with, said that they could do it, but Nextbase said they couldn’t, and they’ve since added a disclaimer to their website saying that they can’t do a rear camera install on a 2022 QQ. I asked them to clarify the problem but they just referred me to RS Connect. My local Nissan dealer said they would fit it for me, but they wanted me to pay £216 for the privilege. I’m feeling more and more tempted to try it myself.
2023 Tekna E-Power
Doug99
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Doug99 »

Why not just power your dashcam from a 12v power socket?
The socket will power down however, when you lock the car so will not provide 24hr cover.
DC448

Post by DC448 »

I have a Qashqai epower on a 73 plate and I had a dual dash cam hard wired by the dealer before I picked it up and it works perfectly.
jondoc51

Post by jondoc51 »

When Halfords and a nationwide company, told me the same thing; I bought this : https://dongar.tech/products/eco7pin . B type

It takes the power from the powered rear view mirror, and turns on and off when the ignition is activated.. So no parking mode; and no hiding long wires anywhere.

I`m now selling it as my Tekna E-Power was always being repaired, so it was never fitted.

I`d like to offer it for sale at £40 inc next day postage. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

TIA
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

" ... I`m now selling it as my Tekna E-Power was always being repaired ..."
Do you mean that your E-Power was really that bad and you got rid of it ?