Never bought new before - trade-in advice

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
egamar
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by egamar »

Hello

I've never bought a new car before and have never traded-in an old one either. I'm doing both this time (at least I think I am).

If I visit the dealer next week (say) and they value my car at (say) £20k (it will have just been serviced and MOTd and the Nissan website says £21k) BUT the delivery of the new car (an ePower Tekna with most of the upgrade packs, but just under the £40k VED limit) is somewhere between 2 months to 4 months (or maybe longer) how can I be reasonably sure of the Trade in Value on some unknown date in the future?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm minding the pennies and at my age this will almost certainly be the last car I buy.

Thanks in advance also for any general new car buying/trade-in advice!

Cheerio
Tekna J12 e-Power.

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

when you get to the dealer and they will check your car over and tell you what its worth, once they have agreed the price that shouldn`t change as it`s not your fault that your waiting months for new car to arrive. but just to be on the safe side ask them all that when your there
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Try one of the websites like We Buy Any Car or any of the others, tap in your registration number and see what they offer, you can then use this as a bargaining chip in your negotiations with the dealer.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Doug99
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Doug99 »

When I bought new, I looked at all the figures and ended up selling my car privately. I achieved a good price for the old car and a good discount from Nissan as a cash buyer and was willing to wait for delivery.
It worked out better for me, but fortunately I could afford to be without the car whilst waiting for the new one.
Its just a case checking the figures for all options.
Sevvie

Post by Sevvie »

When I purchased a new qashqai I got qoute from we buy any car complete rip off I sold via carwow
Got 1400 more for it lots of poeple also said motorway good
Breckland

Post by Breckland »

When I bought my Qashai Tekna I was given a price by the nissan dealer and then went on Carwow..It turned out there was a dealership 20 miles away that had a brand new car same spec but £3k less..When I told my Nissan dealer they said they would match that price.
Foxworld

Post by Foxworld »

Sell it privately if you are in no hurry, I traded my 2014 Qashqai for 2019 x-trail two months ago. After a lot of negotiating he finally agreed to give me £6500 for my car. Two months later i seen my old car for sale for just under 11k and it was sold in a week.
bryfly48

Post by bryfly48 »

Swapped my Karoq for a New Qashqai earlier this year, got the.best price from motorway way, would use them again...
CailynKerr
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by CailynKerr »

It's understandable to have questions, especially about trade-ins. While it's tough to predict the trade-in value in the future, you can take steps for a fair deal.
Get multiple quotes from different dealerships to compare offers. Ensure your car is well-maintained for max value. Discuss with the dealer about locking in a trade-in value or setting a minimum in the purchase agreement.
For more tips, check out carauctionsusa.net. They offer valuable insights to navigate the process. Wishing you the best with your new car purchase!
Last edited by CailynKerr on Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadster

Post by roadster »

I found Carwow helpful in negotiating a fair price for both purchase and trade-in. But I left the PX till the new car was ready, and in the end settled for dealers valuation with some negotiating. I regard the PX as a service provided by the dealer so I don't expect to get it for nothing but its good to have the choice.