Clutch hydraulic bleeding isn't happening.

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Garaoke
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Garaoke »

Over the past few weeks I've noticed the clutch pedal occasionally behaving odly during changing from 1st to 2nd gear. It felt as if there was a momentary (fraction of a second) loss of pressure mostly when pressing the pedal, but sometimes when releasing the pedal it felt momentarily reluctant to return.

Eventually it got to the point where it was difficult to get into 1st and/or get from 1st to 2nd.
I decided to try and bleed the clutch hydraulics.
Using a Nissan procedure I found on the net I had a complete nightmare that ended with a limp pedal lying flat on the floor. And a unusable car.

Over the next 2 days off work, I tried various things including purchase of a Haynes Online manual, and talking to a mobile mechanic, who agreed it was probably a master cylinder.

Today (after 8 days waiting for it) I fitted the new improved item and tried once more to bleed the system. Same result. Loads of air bubbles continuously. No fluid level change in the reservoir.
No apparent leaks at master, slave, or the damping unit (whatever this is for)

I can only assume that as this is a dual clutch and brake reservoir, and the clutch supply pipe exits the reservoir physically higher than the 2 brake supply pipes. (As a matter of safety) I don't have any (or enough) fluid in the clutch part of the reservoir.

But how the hell do I get DOT 4 into the clutch reservoir compartment? And why is the fluid level still at the filler mouth?

Am I missing something?
2016 1.5 DCI N-connecta in Silver with comfort pack.

MelC (Mid-End Life Crisis) is a
1994 Toyota Celica GT4 ST205 (Gen 6) :D

peterlarge
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by peterlarge »

Hi Garaoke,

Did you get to the bottom of this issue? I am currently having exactly the same problem.

Car is stuck in 1st as I can’t disengage the clutch and there is no resistance or spring back when depressing the clutch pedal.

Noticed the brake/clutch fluid reservoir was low and topped it up and attempted to bleed the system. However, with a bleed kit attached to the nipple and the bleed valve open, all that happened was a bit of fluid bobbed up and down in the clear bleed pipe that I had attached when the clutch was pumped.

Therefore I thought the master cylinder had broken inside as it wasn’t building enough pressure. Couldn’t find the part in the uk so had to order from Germany and also waited over a week. Today I have changed it and no change whatsoever and the “old” master cylinder appears to be fine after all.

I took the pipe that goes from the master cylinder off and pumped the clutch and dot4 spurted everywhere in the engine bay. So why on earth does it not pump it out of the bleed nipple?

It would be great to hear if/how your issue was resolved because I think I have the same problem. Just hoping it’s not the CSC!

Thanks