Nissan QQ J12 - Trolley jack

The place to discuss everything else..
JNB
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by JNB »

Greetings all,

I am planning to buy a 2-ton trolley jack (scared of scissor types - possibility of bending). I would appreciate any feedback and comments from QQ owners currently using one of those. Which model and jack pad do you use ? And the most important of all, considering trolley types having a different head/groove design than scissor types, where do you place it (with respect to the jacking points) while jacking QQ up ?

Thanks.

JNB

Post by JNB »

Sorry, by the way, I do not have one (just the repair kit), so could you please post a picture of the standard scissor jack coming with QQ J12 ?
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

JNB wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:24 pm Sorry, by the way, I do not have one (just the repair kit), so could you please post a picture of the standard scissor jack coming with QQ J12 ?
You won't get one with the car as they don't have a spare wheel supplied with car so not much use.
https://shop.nissan.co.uk/collections/n ... 99550ey20a

Jacking points are in the owners manual.
Trolly jacks https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-w ... 57099.html
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

I have used a great many trolley jacks over the years.
I have owned several Qashqai too and the first problem I found was that none of my professional jacks had a high enougn lift to get the wheel off the ground - IE to change a set of pads etc.
So I use a Clarke 1.5 tonne Aluminium Jack.

https://www.clarketooling.co.uk/product ... lley-jack/

Remember you are not lifting the whole car so anything else is a bit overkill.

Next I bought a solid rubber block from Amazon = ToolHub 9955 Jacking Beam Rubber Support Studs Block - Scissor Car Lift - 120 x 160 x 60MM

This serves a few functions
1.No damage to the jack of underside of the vehicle
2.Increases the height of the available lift so wheels can easily be removed
3.Spreads the load

Works for me - see what you think
JNB

Post by JNB »

Thank you for both messages. I will try to explain what I do not understand by the picture attached.

I see two notches (sorry for the poor automotive jargon) that indicate the jacking points. I believe they are not for jacking up (unlike most of the vehicles), but instead, they are for helping us to align the jack. Since the construction at this point is very weak and easy to destroy under the load (see the blue ovals). They are misleading the owners by the manual. I think the large block just behind them is for the jacking up so that the marked top surface of the scissor jack touches this block for proper lifting (see the yellow oval and the yellow dashed line). This means that a non-OEM scissor jack with a groove not deep enough (< ~2 cm) or with a head not wide enough (= 4 cm distance between the notches) will try to lift from that part and destroy it. So the unnecessarily expensive and hard to find (still not listed) scissor jack of QQ J12, is a custom production item, so it is not possible to find a proper scissor jack in the market. No head design matches this jacking design. Please help me understand and correct if I am wrong on this.

There comes the second problem. Where should I position a trolley jack if I want to use the same jacking point ? How can I find a rubber pad with a proper profile that matches QQ J12's interesting jacking point configuration. An experienced owner or technical person can easily handle it, that is, he/she can find another proper place to position it on the chassis underneath.

hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

I think you have made many assumptions in your post. Reading the manual it clearly shows the jack goes where you say it shouldn't because you believe the structural strength is poor. Think you had better tell Nissan!

Granted if someone uses a non-oem scissor jack then there could be issues. I got one with my car as I ordered the space saver spare wheel. Other QQs do not come with a jack at all. You are expected to call recovery if the can of gunk doesn't work. They will use a trolley jack and fit their own temporary spare wheel.

Interested to know why you need to jack your new vehicle up. I can't think of the last time in 20 years I jacked my car up.

Perhaps go and talk to your local garage/tyre shop and ask where they would put their trolley jacks on your car. As they do it day in day out.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
JNB

Post by JNB »

Thank you for your message. I really appreciate you taking time to post on this matter. Speaking of the structural strength; see what happened when I tried to jack it up with a trolley jack (2.5T) with a rubber pad. I am now more concerned about the structural integrity than the structual strength.

andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

JNB wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:23 pm Thank you for your message. I really appreciate you taking time to post on this matter. Speaking of the structural strength; see what happened when I tried to jack it up with a trolley jack (2.5T) with a rubber pad. I am now more concerned about the structural integrity than the structual strength.

is that on your new j12 qashqai as there is a bit of rust on it allready looking at that pic you posted
JNB

Post by JNB »

>> is that on your new j12 qashqai as there is a bit of rust on it allready looking at that pic you posted
Yes, J12, May 2022 brand new. I think it is not because of jacking, it was alrady there. Seems like a color change because of production operation rather than corrosion, but not sure. I did not like the quality of underbody coating.
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

think you had better take it back to your dealer and get them to look at it.