Qashqai 1.5 diesel 2012 auxiliary belt snapped 6 months after dealer purchase. Are they obliged to fix?

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
katt12340
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by katt12340 »

I bought a QQ 6 months ago from a local car dealer but at the weekend it broke down and I had to get it recovered. The auxiliary belt has snapped and it won't start. My issue here is that the garage claims they replaced the cambelt, water pump & did a head gasket less than 2 weeks before I purchased it. I have the receipt for the belt and water pump but the kit they bought didn't come with an auxiliary belt - seeing as they would've had to take the aux belt off to do the cambelt, can I claim they have caused this breakdown by not executing the repair with 'reasonable skill and care' (as trading standards puts it)? The garage are being very shady and trying to claim it's not their problem. But I had a full safety inspection done on the car after I bought it and invested heavily in new suspension and other parts also after purchase (the dealer failed to mention this work would need doing but I noted it before purchase and got a good deal once a local mechanic came with me to view and confirmed it). I haven't had it checked by an independent yet, but I am aware it could well have bent a valve by the timing jumping as a result of the snapped aux belt snapping, and I'm not keen on spending an additional 2k to fit a new lump if they are at fault.