Do you think that upgrading to the E-power is worth it ?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

QaiFan wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:46 am ...
What about the additional battery, is it up to that task for many years of charging / discharging ?

The additional battery is VERY small - it's only 2.1kWh - so that's maybe a twenty-fifth the size of an electric car's battery.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

MikeGC wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:03 am ...
As far as I can see from what I have read, the battery is never meant to fully discharge as it doesn’t run on battery only power. It is continuously charged by the constant running of the petrol engine.

No - it has EV running mode albeit the range on EV is minimal:

Car Magazine reckons:

"Nissan reckons it’ll do about 1-2 miles on pure EV, but we were unable to match this."

Conversely TopGear Magazine states:

"Nissan doesn’t really quote a figure, rather suggesting that it’s a couple of miles on paper, but much further in reality."
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

Indeed gloucester, this is a small battery, but to me that is a plus because
if ever this 2.1 KWh battery needs to be replaced it probably won't cost an arm and a leg !?

Nevertheless Aussie car-expert "John" has a completely different view on this small battery and is very vocal about it ! ...

But again, if this was a much bigger battery the car would probably be more expensive and heavier.
I am far from a car expert, but this tech might be a unique trade-off to still be able to enjoy a swift BEV-like drive without
having to plugin the car and not having to pay for otherwise expensive batteries (as Nissan wants us to believe) !?
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Apart from the 140KW total output is the mere fact that somebody (EU is it...again) is seeking mandatory in built speed limiting.

This piece of junk fits in beautifully...and as explained by JC not many will be flooring it much. Simply add the said speed limiter (say 50mph max) and all is inefficiently ok. Who knows really..maybe the likes of the EU et al will be tweeking your speed from afar on the fly...across the control method of the internet. Or a drone or two somewhere?

Hypocrisy really does abound.....Excitements await...NOT.

The speed limiter is within these cars already...just needs an adjustment to the external Comms systems.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

The pre-view-testers in Sweden and Spain (youtube videos) did not address, nor answer issues/questions like :

- That additional small battery is going to have to work real hard and most of the time ... then how long can it do this if we consider cars are used for more than 10 years ?

- The 440 pounds of added weight and far more NM power than an J12 MHEV QQ ... but no new upgraded BEV-type-tires, brakes and/or enhanced suspension ???

- The e-power QQ reportedly "shakes" at start and the (COLD-) ICE engine will increase to high RPM immediately -during first minute(s)- to improve the gasoline consumption later on ...
to me this reads like downside of this hybrid tech (that AFAIK it shares with some other Hybrid cars from other manufacturers).

Of course non of the above are deal-breakers and there are always some trade-offs.

I am really curious about the true road-tests from of course us, customers and how the e-power consumes and drives versus our QQ J12 MHEV.

It is possible that Nissan decides the J13 will be e-power only, so to me this tech and it advantages (and disadvantages?) is important.