Do you think that upgrading to the E-power is worth it ?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

Hi,
As we now know price and availability of the QQ e-power model, do you believe that upgrading from the J12, or the J11b would be worth the cost and hassle to trade-in
your QQ.
We know what the many benefits are supposed to be ... newest 12.3 infotainment system, better consumption and performance.
Would the added complexity of the new e-power system not be (too) risky to already make the leap of faith ?
Would the extra, most probably significant, cost of the e-power version be justified (to upgrade to it) ?
Would we better wait or go for it ?
How much would you be willing to pay extra when trading-in your car ?
I, personally, am not sure.
Please, what are *your* thoughts and/or expert advice ?
Thank you.
:?:

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Autocar says it's the best "engine" option to have.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/fi ... 022-review

Certainly, this feels like the best-resolved and least compromised powertrain you can have in the Qashqai, as it stands, doing away with both the frustrating manual and droning CVT available on the standard 1.3-litre engine while promising enhanced fuel economy and reduced emissions.

Little economy improvement though.

The technology is to an extent "tried and tested" over several years in Japan so I wouldn't be worried on that front. Introduced in 2016:

https://global.nissannews.com/en/releas ... 61102-01-e

In the end it would depend on what sort of deal your dealer would offer on the trade-in.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Thanks gloucester
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

I wouldn't change from my ICE J12. Not least because the epower is only 2wd currently in the UK. It's not a new model just a different engine option has been added. Those that say it's the J12 Mk II are wrong. That will be along in 2024 I believe.

The change in infotainment screen is an irrelevance to me. Will probably have been through a couple more changes before I replace mine when it's three years old. The current one is fine..but I guess there are always some who want it an inch bigger :lol:

The cost to change, both loss in value of first car and increased price of second car, will never be covered by any potential fuel savings.

Just down to personal choice and how much money you can afford.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Thanks you too hootintootin.

Responses truly appreciated
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

I seem to remember that upgrading to e-power is less than £3000 at each trim level, certainly more expensive but not excessive

Personally I’m really disappointed with the e-power, but that’s just my opinion.
My next car will be a hybrid but it’s going to be a plug in hybrid. My hope is to be able to do local journeys on battery power alone. 30 - 40 miles on a plug in charge would be plenty and the benefits of added electrical assistance over long journeys should help push up mpg - I hope

I know some on here are keen to try the e-power QQ, and that’s fine, just feels a bit pointless to me personally
Last edited by MikeGC on Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Thx all
alllanson
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by alllanson »

As I'm in NZ it is hard to say what happens in Britain but I would look at a number of issues, what you want the vehicle to do. General running, highway only, town only school bus run etc
Range from the battery , range from the petrol engine against the ice model
Price of fuel and type it requires to be run on regular 91 or premium 95, 98
Servicing costs are they any greater running the two systems than an ice vehicles one
Price difference of the new vehicle less the trade in cost you could get
Any government subsides or other taxes available imposed
Insurance costs
For my self i can't see the advantage with so many full electric vehicles and suv's in the market place or coming on stream in a similar price range, having no emissions etc. In the end it is a personal choice depending on your circumstances and only you know that. Best of luck with what ever you decided
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

Personally my biggest fear (unknown at this time AFAIK) is whether the Increased complexity of the e-power components, both mechanically as well as electronically, will not considerably Increase (repair-) cost during the lifetime of the e-power QQ!?
What about the additional battery, is it up to that task for many years of charging / discharging ?
IMHO benefits of the average fuel reduction of 800 ml per 60 miles / 100 km means nothing compared to that 2500 pound price Increase.
The great thing about the e-power is of course the omission of the CVT, a component that we all know may also fail in time.
Thank you all for your valued opinions!
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

QaiFan, Nissan have been using this system for a few years already in Japan.
Reliability data should be available but not sure how you would access it.
As far as I can see from what I have read, the battery is never meant to fully discharge as it doesn’t run on battery only power. It is continuously charged by the constant running of the petrol engine.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)