Faulty mileage and fuel display

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
Youngest78
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Youngest78 »

Hi, I have a Qashqai 2009 automatic with CVR. I am concerned the display (as shown in photo) is faulty. I am putting petrol in on almost a daily basis and the miles are going up quicker than it takes to go a mile, and the flashing light comes on sooner than it should and then the ‘number of miles till empty’ goes down super quick. I don’t think I have a leak. How can I tell exactly how much petrol I have in without going off the display? And is the ‘miles left till empty’ calculated off the back of miles clocked or to a gauge in tank?
I’m just getting through it like it’s not even there.
The 39 in the photo is miles left till empty and this will be down to 20 after, say, four or five miles.

84064EFE-C0F5-4FD3-A207-41BCBC22AA5E.jpeg

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Only real way to check fuel consumption is to fill the tank until the pump clicks off. Drive the car for a few days or so then fill up on the same pump until it again clicks off, That way you will know exactly how much fuel is used for the miles you have recorded. Now, if you think your mileometer is faulty, go to the nearest motorway and check the distances on the mile markers before junctions, or if you know an exact distance from A to B, use that. If you have a sat nav seperate from the car, some of them will give exact readings also.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Youngest78

Post by Youngest78 »

Thanks for that. Do you know how the ‘miles left to empty’ number is calculated? Is it linked to a gauge in the tank or is it worked out based on the miles done figure? I’m just at my wits end about repeatedly putting petrol in and almost in no time at all it’s showing me as being single digits to empty. If there’s a fault with the mileage number and that dictates the miles left to empty number I’d know that there is actually a lot more petrol left than its saying
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

Surely you can tell how fuel is in the car when you top up?

The tank takes 65 litres so work it out from there.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

The miles to refill is calculated from the volume of fuel in the tank and the stored mpg figure in the car’s computer.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Youngest78 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:44 pm Thanks for that. Do you know how the ‘miles left to empty’ number is calculated? Is it linked to a gauge in the tank or is it worked out based on the miles done figure? I’m just at my wits end about repeatedly putting petrol in and almost in no time at all it’s showing me as being single digits to empty. If there’s a fault with the mileage number and that dictates the miles left to empty number I’d know that there is actually a lot more petrol left than its saying
It works the distance to empty by your driving style and adjusts it via mpg. It is difficult to determine unless you almost always do a full tank or near full at refill. I also found when you refill it, it takes ages to take the first notch off, but once it starts moving it goes down as normal.
I have also seen the distance to empty go up at times, depending on how I have driven. I get most of the info in mien via the trip and economy computer on the sat nav screen.
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta