Wiring towbar

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
alllanson
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by alllanson »

Hi all have fitted an after market tow bar and it doesn't have the wiring connector. Their are five wires in the vehicle loom Black, Yellow, Green, Pink, White. Have found the white wire has 12 volts but nothing on any of the other wires the vehicle is a 2020 st-l. Have used the search function and no joy if any one can help me out thanks.
Tow Bar.docx
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 81 times

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Is this any help? Not quite the same car but the principles may have been maintained.

viewtopic.php?t=10183

No, ignore that! - different colours!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I think part of the reason for the lack of response is the likely specification different between your car and a UK one - we have 7 and 13 pin connectors.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

alllanson wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:24 pm Hi all have fitted an after market tow bar and it doesn't have the wiring connector. Their are five wires in the vehicle loom Black, Yellow, Green, Pink, White. Have found the white wire has 12 volts but nothing on any of the other wires the vehicle is a 2020 st-l. Have used the search function and no joy if any one can help me out thanks.
The 5 wires should be identifiable as follows and should be at least 7 really. So your loom doesn't seem right?

Use voltmeter on each wire

12 supply
Ground
Tail lights/Number Plate
Indicator Right
Indicator Left
Stop light
Fog light

Do an ohms check for ground with all power off
For others switch on lights/stop light/indicators/fog one at a time using voltmeter per wire

Thats the simplest version of the wiring...others include reversing/fog light switching and power to trailer/caravan.

What lighting is mandatory where you are?

Similar to this:
https://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/wirin ... wbars.html
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Error posting
Last edited by calnorth on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

So I've now found:
alllanson wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:52 am Hi one and all just a quick intro my name is Allanson but everyone calls me Allan saves confusion. Live in the north island of New Zealand just signed the papers on a pearl white 2017 St base model Qashqai. Been driving it for a few days prier to signing and getting used to the different aspects of it. Will have heaps of question and hitting the search bar cheers for now Allan

... and that leads to a typical NZ site:

https://keatrailers.co.nz/technical-inf ... er-wiring/

Your Kea trailer is wired in the factory to the International Specification for a 7 pin flat trailer plug. Kea use electrical cable that contains five coloured wires to control the primary light functions of your trailer. The two pins each side of the central earth pin are not used and control Auxiliary and Reverse functions.

So how do we relate that to "Black, Yellow, Green, Pink, White", particularly with the white wire apparently giving out 12V!
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Here are the relevant pictures from the Word doc:

a.jpg

b.jpg

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Something like this:
Need to know the activity on the Car wiring (interface) when lights/indicators switched/ brakes on:off. If the 12v is permanent its likely for a caravan or some external power requirement.

Anyway, find Ground in the Car and Trailer wiring first. Connect those together. Remove all bulbs from Trailer, then check none of the Trailer wires show short to Ground with the voltmeter on ohms before connecting to any car wire.

Afternote:

I seem to remember from sometime back that there are difficulties with circuit current sensing when connecting trailers etc. I need to look at that again at some point.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
alllanson

Post by alllanson »

Hi Calnorth, here in NZ for a trailer all that is required is tail lights, stop lights, right indicator, left indicator and an earth wire one could add all the extras mentioned but they are not required for the warrant of fitness hence only five wires needed. The vehicle loom has the five wires but cannot figure out which one goes to which wire of the trailer loom. Also as the vehicle has led lights a VTI s2 vehicle trailer module needs to be fitted already present .But it needs a power source, black wire. Have been told that the L indicator is yellow, right indicator is green, red is stop light. so leaving brown for the tail and using white as a power source for the vti s2 module. How accurate this is I don't know but a genuine nissan trailer loom is just over $220.00nz
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

alllanson wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:05 am Hi Calnorth, here in NZ for a trailer all that is required is tail lights, stop lights, right indicator, left indicator and an earth wire one could add all the extras mentioned but they are not required for the warrant of fitness hence only five wires needed. The vehicle loom has the five wires but cannot figure out which one goes to which wire of the trailer loom. Also as the vehicle has led lights a VTI s2 vehicle trailer module needs to be fitted already present .But it needs a power source, black wire. Have been told that the L indicator is yellow, right indicator is green, red is stop light. so leaving brown for the tail and using white as a power source for the vti s2 module. How accurate this is I don't know but a genuine nissan trailer loom is just over $220.00nz
Ah.... you've answered my concern about the vehicle electrics and explains the permanent 12v. Thats a sensitivity measure relating to the loads (LEDs mainly). Such a module appears for other trailer looms and which I think is a relay interface (or other controller) to prevent trouble with vehicle electrical control of external lights.

The J11a and on uses electronic control for external lights incorporating a CPU and related SMART FETs sensing. It isolates Trailer faults from damaging the vehicle electrics/electronics. Faults arising here won't be funny. A second line of defence so to speak.

I wouldn't take much of the wiring info you mention as accurate. However, looking at the VTI diagram its possible to translate the vehicle wiring colour codes:

http://www.anythingelectronic.co.nz/aen ... 20Logo.pdf

From my earlier post, I was alluding to the first step of identifying both 12v and Ground. Identifying those 2 allows you to connect the vehicle to the Trailer and then test the remaining wires on the other VTI inputs. Test the electrical integrity of the Trailer wiring loom first though. Pointless connecting something that is a bit faulty.

Using the voltmeter on the vehicle loom wires you should see 12v activity on 4 of the wires when you select any indicator or switch running lights on...also foot brake. Note them.

The VTI diagram below tends to suggest a standard exists for this wiring...not so sure about that

VTI_S2.png

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta