J12 Start stop power surge

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
Craigus
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Craigus »

I too have experienced the same issue. From my experience the surge and engine startup appears to startup too early when easing your foot off the brake pedal (when wanting to come to a smooth stop). I had to adjust my driving style because of this.

However, I had recently applied an over the air update to the car via the infotainment system that took a good 15 mins or so to apply, and since then things have improved. Much like previous comments, this update hasn't completely eradicated the problem, but definitely has improved it from my experience and allows me to lift off the brake pedal even further before the engine kicks back in and causes the "surge."

It might be worth ensuring that your car is updated to this version. I'll find out what the version that I have is and update here when I'm next in the car.

QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

"infotainment system " updates should not be able to change this at all !???
Are you sure of this ?
srbqashqai

Post by srbqashqai »

I did update of infotainment as well, didn't fix the issue ofc.
This is issue in ECU or some other system.

@xaote, did the issue reapear to you now after some time has passed or you can confirm that it's deffinately fixed now?
J12 Tekna Xtronic
eppiedutch

Post by eppiedutch »

In a few weeks time I will bring my QQ J12 for a short visit to my local (NL) dealer.
I had called them to ask if a) they knew about this problem, and b) if so, if a (software) fix was already released by Nissan for this issue.

The guy I talked to did know of a similar problem with the Juke CVT models, but said he wasn't aware of this also being an issue with the new Qashqai Xtronic models.
Whether he really didn't know about it or just wouldn't say he did; I don't know.

However he did say that Nissan releases software updates now and then, but don't always communicate to their car dealers what issue(s) will be fixed by the updates.
So he recommended me to visit them so they could check if a software update (he thought perhaps a new ECM update) is available for my car.
Checking and installing would take maximum an hour and half he said.

So here's hoping for a software update that will completely fix this problem!

(This is - in my opinion - the only real flaw with this car. Otherwise, I am really happy with my QQ!)
srbqashqai

Post by srbqashqai »

@eppiedutch
Please note down what was updated exactly so we can instruct our dealers in case they solve the problem to you.
J12 Tekna Xtronic
eppiedutch

Post by eppiedutch »

I will, provided that I will get that information from my Nissan dealer.
xaote

Post by xaote »

srbqashqai wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:35 pm I did update of infotainment as well, didn't fix the issue ofc.
This is issue in ECU or some other system.

@xaote, did the issue reapear to you now after some time has passed or you can confirm that it's deffinately fixed now?

So sorry for the delayed response @srb I've been away and I'm off again for another while.

It is very frustrating to hear everyone is still complaining about this problem when my car has been fixed after a 2 hour visit to my dealership.
Mine has been working perfectly 90% of the time since the update.
10%, the engine cuts out a bit too soon (like before) but the engine does not restart with a surge. If the situation arises where you need to move on again whilst in that 'freewheeling' stage, the engine restart isn't the smoothest but that is being REALLY picky and that scenario rarely happens so I'm not complaining about it, just reporting exactly what is happening.

It can't be a complete fluke that whatever he did magically solved the problem like it has.

Obviously I can't name the technician/dealership and have them inundated with phone calls from everyone on the Internet but I'll call him tomorrow and explain to him just how big of a problem this really is and politely ask him to contact the most relevant Nissan department to try to get this info out there.
Whether anything comes of it all I don't know but worth a shot.
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic
eppiedutch

Post by eppiedutch »

Small update:

I went to my car dealership earlier this week to have them check if (an) update exist(s) for this issue. Apparently my car already had the latest updates for the engine, clutch, ECM, etc.

They did say that they had adjusted the brake sensor (so it would pick up also mild braking force), but after that visit I have noticed the same behavior the as before.

So there I am, still deactivating the start-stop button at the start of every journey.

Too bad I can't automate my car ("IF engine starts THEN deactivate start-stop function") :D
Jonnywells

Post by Jonnywells »

Had the wife's tekna+about a month now and experienced the start/stop surge issue a couple times now the batteries have fully charged and the auto stop system is kicking in more.

I take it there is still no idea if this just a software update?
Proc

Post by Proc »

We received our car last week (xtronic, 72 reg) and just posting to say even the newer build cars are doing it, have noticed the surge quite a few times when driving, seems to be when at lights or waiting to turn a corner, it will do it when either slowing down or starting to set off again, almost like it’s trying not to stall.

It’s ok if you know it’s going to do it but doesn’t seem to be all the time, told the wife that when she’s slowing for lights or turning just to give herself an extra bit of room at the front as could easily nudge another car, she’s also worried about parking in case it did it while creeping forward.

Love the car but this is an odd and potentially dangerous issue, not heard of it with other mild hybrid cars, have to see if there is any way to solve it or maybe speak to the dealer.