Semiconductor Device Shortages...and Vehicles

The place to discuss everything else..
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

The Daily Mail once again throws out a conflicting piece on the subject.....I've not thought about it much to date...but:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... parts.html

So the article mixes automotive with largely domestic devices as if all were somehow equal in the various digital processing systems. AFAIK the devices used for transportation have to be tolerant to the related and wide operating environment....temperature, water, dirt, power and so on. I know that the devices used in automotive/aviation are produced to published Military Standards whereas domestic type devices are the cheaper lower graded versions. If the DM is suggesting the washing machine devices etc are replacing ECU, ABS, Body Control systems etc on cars I have to say bollox really.

The manufacturing processes are very rigid and of course purity of materials is required. Where the bottleneck(s) is/are exactly I'm not sure. Would it be artificial/fake constructs as with so much else over the years we have witnessed?

Basic chips...wtf are they. Assume low level functional devices ...logic gates for instance. De-soldering such off of double sided circuit boards is real fun...NOT.

Any suggestions as to where the blockages are?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

To be honest - each new car these days has hundreds of semi conductors in them , mostly in nice dry places.
Its not just the engine ECU that has them , but just about every other electrical component that you care to name.

As for bottle necks in supply , a lot come from China , and their xero tolerance to Covid and the lock downs keeps on setting the supply recovery back.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

CCP seem intent on locking up entire population :(

Capture.JPG

Follow this guy on Twitter for the daily horrors there.
https://twitter.com/serpentza
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Ah yes..Winston (S. Africa) and his mate Cmilk (USA) have lived in China for quite some several years gaining Chinese wives each on the way. Have now left China for "safety" reasons I understand. Can be found on Youtube under the names:

Serpenza
Advchina
laowhy86

They provided very good and detailed insight into life and the general "carry on" in China. Based mainly in Shenzhen which probably has in the big shopping high rise malls all the chips and stuff we could possibly want? Likely much of the electronics on Ali Express comes from those malls (Huaqiangbei for one). They travelled around China (N to S) on small motor bikes narrating via bone dome comms on the hoof so to speak.

I think they fell foul of Youtube for the general "touchy" reasons that certain Californian companies press on us.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Isolation didn't work for Australia and New Zealand in particular - yesterday Australia was 2nd on the Worldometers table and NZ was fifth! - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Herd immunity is what's required. China can't isolate people out of it!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Thoughts:

The immunity subject I think is rather complex and particularly in the case of Flu type infections we experience. The bloody thing keeps jumping ship and arising as another variant somewhere at another time. The current vaxxing technique won't really keep up IMO. And for most does it need to? The regular bounce back we see for Common Colds and Influenza are surely behavioral examples and as we know are also killers.

With the original Kung Flu we have been trashed over I believe it reached Europe (Italy) from China via contracts in the leather industry. I assume that still rumbles on as does excursions to and from China to Africa. Those precious rare materials (Belt & Road projects) need collection and deliveries apart from land grabs. The infection entry and exit points were/are various globally.

It rather strikes me as a very viscous circle as regards infections. Perhaps subdue-able but never eradicated. And I agree Oz and NZ went totally crazy...well, certain fools did. I think we suffered very badly as well which is something I'll never forget.

So if it was really about protecting the NHS...what has been done about that? My wife is experiencing the mess the NHS is in as regards a minor procedure as she's not boosted. She says she won't be either as she is much bothered about the habit of the vax dropping natural immunity post actual jab. There are many questions about this and none of it is presented publicly.....properly. LFT is required prior to hospital procedure..how much prior remains a secret.

I won't go on further as not being an expert limits me....obvs
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta