Air Con Yearly Regas Needed

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Thoughts on the problem:

What appears to be heard (gurgling) from the rear of the Aircon/Heater unit is from the Evaporator unit. Its likely receiving to much liquid refrigerant from the related Expansion Control Valve (ECV). The ECV regulates the refrigerant flow into the Evaporator. Too much as the refrigerant transforms from liquid to gas creates bubbling within the Evaporator. Hissing indicates a refrigerant gas leak related to the Evaporator.

If the ECV did not regulate the liquid refrigerant flow correctly under normal conditions air flow into the cabin would vary (hot/cold) quite a lot.

The garage needs the Aircon pressure gauges to determine refrigerant gas pressures at specific points. The leaking if true will surely lower those pressures quite sharply. I suspect at some point pressure sensing within the AC system will cause the ECU to shut down Aircon completely.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Squashy2 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:22 am
gloucester wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:08 pm Do you have an extended warranty?
Luckily we have an extended Nissan warranty, tbh the Dealership in Stirling have always been excellent with regards to faults and Warranty claims.
It was in with them I believe last August with exactly the same issue, hissing/gurgling sounds coming from the climate control unit (behind in the dash)
Warm air whilst Air-conditioning is selected, switch back to air (16°) and sounds disappear and cooler air through the vents.
I habitually run the Air conditioning at least once a week for 30 minutes or so to help keep things running properly.
When the car was last in, they couldn't find a problem? And since then it has worked ok?
The Nissan gremlins are definitely at play again. Hopefully Nissan will have a wee look at it after the Easter Holiday.
I would almost certainly guess all they did was put a sealer into the air con system like we used to put radweld in the coolant, it works, but not a cure for the problem. Ask them what they did, it does need to be repaired properly, probably with new pipework etc.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

Squashy2 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:11 pm Well the inevitable happened today on the way home from Glasgow, 20° outside, put aircon on and yes you guessed it, warm air blowing through the vents 😡
Was at the dealership last year with the same problem, looks like another phone call tomorrow morning.
Air-conditioning gremlins have returned again, after my recent visit around Easter to the Dealership for non existent air conditioning they found no leak in the system, topped up the refrigerant gas and all was working fine, all up until the current heatwave, specifically around 19th, 20th of July. Warm air flowing through the vents again so reverted to nature's air conditioning and opened all of the windows whilst driving, not ideal but the only option in close to 35° heat.
Phoned the Dealership and car was in with them last week for a thorough investigation. Had the use of a brand new Juke for the duration, little pocket rocket of a car, kind of reminded me of the 90's Fiesta RS turbo, I can quite imagine Mrs Squashy collecting a few points on her licence if she was to have one 😲
They performed a leak test with a dye and couldn't find anything, as they were about to call it a day and refill the refrigerant they spotted a tiny, tiny pin hole at the bottom rear of the condenser.
Luckily for us it appears to be either a manufacturing fault or something not related to wear or tear and not damage caused by a stone, which as we all know can happen to the front of the condenser.
Nissan GB have agreed to have the condenser and associated pipe work replaced free of charge under warranty 👍
Hopefully in two weeks time after the refit we will have fully functioning air conditioning.

A huge thank you again to Western Nissan Stirling, in the past 18 Months or so we have become regular visitors, know most of their staff members on a first name basis and receive exemplary service.
Video health check always awaiting me on my return home along with a courtesy call a few days later to check up on the car/work carried out.
And I must admit, I have yet to pick up any of our cars from a Dealer after having any work done no matter how big or small a job to receive the car back in such lovely condition, cleaned both outside and inside.
Albeit going into have work carried out can be an inconvenience to many, at least Western Nissan help to make the visit a little less stressful and to top it off, their hot/cold drinks and shortbread biscuits are pretty good too.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Vintage 2017 was the height of the defective condensers installed at production. I used a mobile aircon fitter who was very aware of this QQ problem. He didn't hesitate in removing the condenser for a physical check. Mainly edge weld faults. Re-install wasn't a defective Nissan condenser which bothered me as regards the dealers. And he fitted aluminum type mesh in front of the condenser. 3 hour job with all new parts and very expensive R1234yf regas thanks to some inventor/manufacturer licensing.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

I believe that my condenser fault too lies with the weld, without inspecting it myself I cannot confirm whether it's a manufacturing defect or a weld that has failed due to use? If this is something that can happen, not being a welder or over technically minded I cannot believe that a weld could possibly fail on a part that shouldn't see too much stress put on it.
I put it down to cheap "Chinesium" build quality or for a better term, purchased from the cheapest bidder for the supply of parts!
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Squashy2 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:13 pm I believe that my condenser fault too lies with the weld, without inspecting it myself I cannot confirm whether it's a manufacturing defect or a weld that has failed due to use? If this is something that can happen, not being a welder or over technically minded I cannot believe that a weld could possibly fail on a part that shouldn't see too much stress put on it.
I put it down to cheap "Chinesium" build quality or for a better term, purchased from the cheapest bidder for the supply of parts!

Each black mark is the refrigerant oil leaking from all the faulty welding. The gas got off its marks at about the same time.

Condenser 2.5 years old and not often used at all.

Untitled.png

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta