Battery replacement

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
benjus
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by benjus »

Hi all,

Just had my 2013 QQ 1.6 petrol CVT serviced at the local Nissan dealer. The battery failed their check, but I declined their offer to fit a new one as I'd rather do it myself (I haven't actually had any battery issues, but I've had the car for 6 years now so I'm not surprised).

I noticed that the current battery is an EFB one, which seems a bit odd as the car doesn't have stop/start. I'm a bit wary of downgrading the battery but if it was originally installed above the specification then maybe I'm just wasting money buying a new EFB.

I think this one is the correct fit, and seems to be the cheapest EFB one I can find, although non-EFB is obviously cheaper: https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/exide/el600/

Any thoughts?

andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

if the batt on your car is a EFB then you to replace it with the same even if you don`t have start/stop on car. just check your batt on car to see if the Capacity 60 Ah CCA 640 A is the same
benjus
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by benjus »

Understood, thanks. Yes, 60Ah / 640A matches the current battery.
JC17
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by JC17 »

Hi all,

I am a newbie so I'm sorry if this has been asked many times. I have had my car for around 6 months - 2019 plate and the battery died. Nissan dealership were so rude and said I would need to pay either way to even get the car on the diagnostic machine to tell me if it was the battery, this I wouldn't get reimbursed for and was about £150 - something which I couldn't afford. So I got the battery changed somewhere a lot cheaper and the problem was fixed. I have written to Nissan HQ and they are having none of it and have said because I didn't get it replaced with the dealership (who tried getting all kinds of money from me) that they can't help me or reimburse me.
Anyone know if there is anything more I can do? I presumed only having the car 6 months that it is meant to have a proper full service before they re-sell? Incidentally the new battery that I got has a 4 year warranty on it, something Nissan don't honour it seems :cry:
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

If you search for "battery issues" on forum, lots of posts.
As you presumably still had free Nissan/RAC cover, you should have got RAC out.

They've replaced hundreds of dodgy batteries, and there's no charge.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
QashqaiSilver
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashqaiSilver »

JC17 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:10 pm Hi all,

I am a newbie so I'm sorry if this has been asked many times. I have had my car for around 6 months - 2019 plate and the battery died. Nissan dealership were so rude and said I would need to pay either way to even get the car on the diagnostic machine to tell me if it was the battery, this I wouldn't get reimbursed for and was about £150 - something which I couldn't afford. So I got the battery changed somewhere a lot cheaper and the problem was fixed. I have written to Nissan HQ and they are having none of it and have said because I didn't get it replaced with the dealership (who tried getting all kinds of money from me) that they can't help me or reimburse me.
Anyone know if there is anything more I can do? I presumed only having the car 6 months that it is meant to have a proper full service before they re-sell? Incidentally the new battery that I got has a 4 year warranty on it, something Nissan don't honour it seems :cry:
The battery is a consumable, I cannot see you gaining anything out of the dealer. Nothing that a service can do to stop a battery failing. Some fail down to previous owners habits.
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta