Lane assist system fault

ICE, Equipment, Options
FozzyVilla
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by FozzyVilla »

Hi, I’ve tried looking on this forum for the issue I have but no luck. A month ago my Lane assist, main beam assist & road sign stopped working randomly as I was driving. I took it to my local Nissan garage to which they said it needs a new camera but this may not fix the problem. They quoted me 1k for this. I thought I would go somewhere else for a second opinion, the local garage I took it to ran diagnostics and found the code C1a16 and said they would need to take off my front bumper to check the radar? So I’m now very confused. Were Nissan trying to fleece me and the other garage are correct or is this garage completely wrong as would the radar affect the Lane assist, main beam assist and road signs? If any one can help it would be very much appreciated.

QashqaiKev
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QashqaiKev »

The lane keep assist, headlight control and road sign recognition all rely on the camera. The front radar is used for the adaptive cruise control and emergency forward collision detection. I highly doubt your issue is caused by the radar.
FozzyVilla

Post by FozzyVilla »

Thank you for your reply! Regarding the windscreen camera, will this always need to be a new camera or can one be taken from another qashqai and calibrated? It’s just I’m not very confident in spending 1k when Nissan say this may not fix the problem.
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

Having had a bad Nissan dealer experience myself I would never trust a Nissan dealer to be honest.

Remember the radar error might be another totally separate problem.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

FozzyVilla wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:54 pm Hi, I’ve tried looking on this forum for the issue I have but no luck. A month ago my Lane assist, main beam assist & road sign stopped working randomly as I was driving. I took it to my local Nissan garage to which they said it needs a new camera but this may not fix the problem. They quoted me 1k for this. I thought I would go somewhere else for a second opinion, the local garage I took it to ran diagnostics and found the code C1a16 and said they would need to take off my front bumper to check the radar? So I’m now very confused. Were Nissan trying to fleece me and the other garage are correct or is this garage completely wrong as would the radar affect the Lane assist, main beam assist and road signs? If any one can help it would be very much appreciated.

Distance Sensor - C1A16 (RADAR STAIN) is listed in Nissan QQ Diagnostics. Outcome of such a fault is:

Fail-safe (Distance Sensor)
If a malfunction occurs in the distance sensor, around view monitor control unit cancels control, sounds a
beep, and turns ON the FEB system warning in the information display.

Question - is the two car crash symbol showing on the instrument display? Relates to Forward Emergency Braking (FEB).

Did Nissan check for DTCs before the other garage?

The Forward Camera controls LDW (Lane stuff) and Road Sign Recognition. I'm not quite sure what happens with Around View Control mentioned under Fail Safe above. If that is cancelled I'd assume all camera(s) control is lost?

The Front Camera has about 15 DTCs related to it:

Fail-safe (Front Camera Unit)

FAIL-SAFE CONTROL BY DTC
LDW (Lane Departure Warning)
If a malfunction occurs in front camera unit, front camera unit cancels control, and turns ON the LDW malfunction in information display.
TSR (Traffic Sign Recognition)
If a malfunction occurs in front camera unit, front camera unit cancels control, and turns ON the TSR malfunction in information display.

If Nissan properly tested your car mention of DTCs should have been forthcoming?

The FEB symbol in your instrument display should be the major clue. That is Radar related
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
FozzyVilla

Post by FozzyVilla »

I had no codes given to me by Nissan just that thelane camara is not being detected by the comms system, this lane camara has suffered an internal failure and would require replacement to be carried out. The other garage came up with code C1A16 which then really confused me. They quoted 3 hours work to take bumper off. The warning I have on my dash is the Lane assist warning symbol no system faults for anything else. I know this issue isn’t entirely serious but i just know it will have to be done at some point. Is gaining access to the Lane camera easy? As I would try and inspect my self if possible or even change it with one taken from another qashqai
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

FozzyVilla wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:47 pm I had no codes given to me by Nissan just that thelane camara is not being detected by the comms system, this lane camara has suffered an internal failure and would require replacement to be carried out. The other garage came up with code C1A16 which then really confused me. They quoted 3 hours work to take bumper off. The warning I have on my dash is the Lane assist warning symbol no system faults for anything else. I know this issue isn’t entirely serious but i just know it will have to be done at some point. Is gaining access to the Lane camera easy? As I would try and inspect my self if possible or even change it with one taken from another qashqai
What fault symbols, if any, are showing on the dash instruments..have you a picture.

The camera(s) and radar unit require accurate physical and electrical setup if replaced. Another big problem really.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
FozzyVilla

Post by FozzyVilla »

Just the Lane assist system fault & all other cameras seems to be working

3E702F87-95B1-4F62-A366-2F4139B12FD7.jpeg

6323421A-9E60-41FA-A170-C0ED458A3007.jpeg

D6E62314-4AC5-42CA-A40D-92EFD28EA429.jpeg

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

There is no Radar fault showing in the right side instrument...so this is a LDW fault (Lane Detection Warning) as advertised by the System Fault with Car + Lane symbol

The instrument centre display shows the radar (distance detector) is working...white symbol above the yellow triangle under 17:02

There is a particular DTC raised if the front camera does not receive vehicle wheel speed from the ABS unit. That data is supplied via the CAN bus along with 3 other errors possible. So Nissan might of told you which CAN error that was?

Your front camera appears to be working ok as regards picture/video. However, CAN Bus data is likely bad so LDW is disrupted? Obviously all inputs to this camera need verifying by Nissan test equipment really.

It's not advisable to remove the front camera DIY fashion. That camera does need a full alignment procedure on replacement.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
FozzyVilla

Post by FozzyVilla »

Thank you for you help it is really much appreciated! Again as the other company I used do calibration would it be a stupid question to ask to take one from another car and then to calibrate would it have to brand new? The only error code I was given was from the other company i used and this was C1A16. Nissan just stated that camera can not be found and will require replacement but this may not solve the problem which you don’t want to hear when you have been quoted 1k