Start Stop Auto System Fault

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
AndrewWqq
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by AndrewWqq »

My qashqai has been sitting around pretty much since the start of covid.

When i went for dive (first in a long time) the car felt sluggish to start, i.e. battery drained.
The breaks also needed a clean (rust)

As i was driving along I got a stop / start Auto fault, and the engine light came on.
The battery was changed at the start of covid with a new RAC battery(under warrenty).

I charged the battery on a slow charge over night, and as expected the current from the charges dropped to 0 over night), although started higher.
I charged the battery shows 13.24 volts with the car running (i.e being charged) and 12.9 v with the engine off. Checked from the entertainment system.

I don't have a reader to get any DTS codes. Is there a way to get these or suggestion when the fault could be. i.e. can i fix it or is is a trip to the garage.

The car drives fine, except the auto button does nothing (except if the car is not running when it does activate the dashboard light.

The car is a 2017

Many Thanks
Andrew

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Stop/Start becomes a problem if there is an engine fault. Hence the check Engine Symbol showing on the dash. Meaning the ECU cannot manage the engine correctly thus disabling Auto Stop/Start to begin with.

Battery is the usual culprit...perhaps not in your case though. You can check charging while driving the car using the headunit status menu you found. If its starting properly/consistently on the charged Battery there can't be much wrong with it?

After that its usually to do with the following: (sensors informing the ECU)

Fuelling system (Combustion)
Exhaust system (Oxygen/Temperature sensors).

You'd expect bad running for both of these systems if a fault was present.

There are no reliable DTC (error code) scanners I know of....unfortunately. Error codes will likely be present though

How many times has it been driven since the Battery was charged? And at what max speed?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
AndrewWqq

Post by AndrewWqq »

Calnorth,

Thanks for the info. I went on a drive the voltages were between 14.5v and 14.82V depending on the speed at around 30 it was 14.77v

The car has been taken on a road about 5 times , twice for a service, so i guess the garage hit 70 on the dual carriage way.
I've driven it round the block around 3 times for 20 minutes each around 30 mpg max.

The petrol is also over 2 years old.

The car seems to run well and accelerates ok.

if i turned the SS off, apart from the engine light no issues, as soon as i turned it on the start / fault appeared.

I have ordered the following ( i did it before you said none of them really work)

MOTOPOWER OBD2

to see if i can get any codes

I don't mind getting a new battery , but i don't want to randomly buy things (hence the OBD2 code reader) , also would i need to register the battery,

Thanks for the help so far
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

ok...let us know what DTCs you capture. Is the engine petrol or diesel?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
AndrewWqq

Post by AndrewWqq »

I got some codes may be

The car is a 1.6L petrol
The code were
P0037 HO2S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
There were 5 codes in total made up of multiple of the above.
I cleared the codes
started the engine ,no engine light

Went for a drive everything worked for about 1 minute there i got the Start / Stop Auto System Fault

this time no engine fault light

I check the codes, and none reported

I did a live dump, lost of stats came back , about 9 screen full, not sure if any of these are going to be useful
AndrewWqq

Post by AndrewWqq »

Here are some screen shots of some type of stats,
not really sure what all of them mean, but they may be helpful

Freeze Frame.jpg

Since DTC Cleared.jpg

AndrewWqq

Post by AndrewWqq »

Been able to access the data stream data

Data Stream 1.jpg

Data Stream 2.jpg

Data Stream 3.jpg

AndrewWqq

Post by AndrewWqq »

I went for a drive 30-40 mph for 10-15 minutes including a short que with SS off, everything worked perfectly. While waiting as a round about i turned SS on and got am immediate start / stop Auto System fault, but no engine light
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

My Comments on the above. I note the following in Nissan Diagnostics - acceptable Battery volts range for Testing procedure:

TESTING CONDITION:
Before performing the following procedure, confirm that battery voltage is between 11 to 16 V at idle.

I don't have the exact petrol engine diagnostics. So this below is a bit risky?

P037 HO2S2 HTR (B1)
(HO2S heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 2) An excessively low voltage signal is sent to ECM through the heated oxygen sensor 2 heater.

PO138 is a detailed confirmation of PO37 and describes a very long inspection procedure to confirm the fault.

This is either a wiring or O2 sensor (exhaust system) problem that occurred at some time? Your scanner cleared it by the looks of things.

If this was the fault, diagnostics has a 10 page inspection and setup procedure for the O2 sensors using Nissans CONSULT tester. Thats a Nissan propriety tool. Its a very long procedure and mentions O2 self learning and more. Electrically heated O2 sensors can be quite a problem.

I cannot asses the other data you have posted because I have no reference data for that. As I said earlier the info I relate to may not be for your engine. However, this O2 fault will disrupt SS.

If you had disconnected the Battery earlier to charge it you might disconnect it again...leave disconnected for 30 mins or so. Connect and try the car again. That may rid the system of some odd configuration due to the fault?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
AndrewWqq

Post by AndrewWqq »

Thanks, What is the recommendation for the next step? Sorry i'm confused.