1.6 petrol J10, wheeler dealer type odd jobs

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I'm impressed by your thoroughness! I hope the car was cheap enough to justify!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

QashqaiSilver
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashqaiSilver »

gloucester wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:37 pm I'm impressed by your thoroughness! I hope the car was cheap enough to justify!
I got it for £1400, he had it up for £2000 with full MOT. Even some of the other cars at that price and higher, I would say would still need work to be done, it is just me. A lot of cars are just given bare minimal treatment, some hardly getting any love at all. I may buy the car some flowers for Valentines day (JUST KIDDING!)
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Nearside rear hub with brake disc removed. Wire brushed most of lower arm

DSCF3083.JPG

Offside brake hub, disc still on. On both lower arms the powder coating that is still there flakes off easily. The calliper bolts were tough to remove, 14mm socket. When refitting always good to changed and clean the rubber grease that goes in them. This is a known problem for many of the pistons to fail in part to the sliding pins. The Calliper bracket bolts are 19mm and also a tough one to undo.

DSCF3081.JPG

View of the powder coating that has flaked, this would be cleaned up and painted.

DSCF3082.JPG

QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

A little update :arrow:

Hammerite Kurrust applied to lower arm. Changed colour

DSCF3091.JPG

Gear knob worn for wear. I could not be bothered to removed it. So roughed it up with grey scotch pad, then P1200 wet & dry. Masked it up. Then apply grey primer.

DSCF3100.JPG

Handbrake level push button was the same, chroming gone on most of it and showing white plastic. Used grey scotch pad, wet & dry P1200 then sprayed primer.

DSCF3101.JPG

Sprayed 2 coats of Nissan Blade silver metallic.

DSCF3102.JPG

Black chassis paint applied to lower arm (you can use Hammerite if you want). Also sprayed part of brake disc black around hub area that can be seen through wheels. I just put the disc there to rest, it is not fitted.

DSCF3103.JPG

offside painted, I did not paint over label on shock in case needed for future reference.

DSCF3104.JPG

Centre chassis support painted. Would spray inside of holes where it would be difficult to get brush, I sprayed this inside after pic taken.

DSCF3105.JPG

QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Coat of 2k clear lacquer sprayed on

DSCF3106.JPG

Close up view, it may appear there is a line next to '2' but it is a reflection of the rear light.

DSCF3107.JPG

Masking off, the black leather could do with a slight bit of dye, which I would tackle later

DSCF3108.JPG

DSCF3109.JPG

Tyre taken off with manual tyre changer. This is to put it the correct way around, some numpty installed the bi-directional the wrong way. These changers are so much longer than the electric/pneumatic tyre changing machine I am used to.

DSCF3110.JPG

QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

A little more done.

Rear caliper painted and refitted. Caliper bracket mounting plates are 19mm bolts, caliper slider pin bolts are 14mm, make sure clean and re-grease slider pin bolts with red rubber grease or equivalent.
When the disc is on, adjusting the handbrake. To loosen offside, rotate the slider cog upwards, the nearside rotate it downwards to loosen. Then adjust it correctly once the disc is on and handbrake off.

DSCF3111.JPG

handbrake painted and lacquered

DSCF3113.JPG

DSCF3114.JPG

Rear brakes Nismo decals added. No matter how much you sand the actual braking area, rain and moisture would give it surface rust, it would come off after driving and go back shiny.

DSCF3152.JPG

Front brake Nismo decals

DSCF3153.JPG

Wheels sanded up to last stage

DSCF3154.JPG

Wheels polished up using DAS Pro 6 and meguiars metal polishing paste

DSCF3155.JPG

Wheel sprayed with 2k lacquer. If needed you can use a direct to metal lacquer which is to bare metal which should be better, but hopefully this should keep for a few years.

DSCF3156.JPG

QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Expansion tank changed as other one started leaking badly, it appeared to have had a split or crack underneath. Coolant leaked out.

DSCF3157.JPG

New expansion tank. Easy to change, one 10mm bolt at the back, at pliers to remove both hose clips.

DSCF3171.JPG

Headlight output at night, very impressed with these bulbs, it really lights the ground up well. I used to be a Ring fan, but think I am now converted to Osram.

DSCF3160.JPG

Brake and clutch pedals worn, not to my liking.

DSCF3161.JPG

Bought a pair of new pedal rubbers on ebay for £3.40 delivered. Old rubbers of and worthy of going in the bin

DSCF3162.JPG

Brand new pedal rubbers on, to fit, put a mirror behind pedals to make it easier. Then work your way from top to bottom, using a mid size flat blade screw driver to tuck it around the pedal.

DSCF3170.JPG

My rear window screenwash jet had stop working properly and trickling, then came to a stop. It appeared I had a blockage. Think down to just pure water and the car did not even have a screenwash cover when I got it, so all sorts could have went down in there.
I removed the one-way valve at the rear offside pillar which rises up to the tailgate. It was gooey substance. Tried to get it out, but seems clogged up in the hose itself and would not go past the valve. I then had to remove the hose for the rear window by the tank. In the pic that would be the left hose with white band around it. When opened and tested it sprayed in the wheelarch at full pressure, so I realise all the blockage was in the hose.

DSCF3172.JPG

I got my tyre compressor and added an attachment to the screenwash hose from the pump connection and turned it on (I did try to blow it by mouth but not enough pressure). Then pressure went up to around 60psi then it all sprayed out the rear all over the place. Pressure dropped down to around 20psi as a lot of it still oozed out, then after around 3 minutes went down to around 3 psi so was cleared out.

DSCF3173.JPG

This is some of the thick goopy substance (it looks like something else, lol :lol: ), you can see it at the hose at the top right of the pic and on the boot floor. Most of it went on the ground and my other car. After re-attaching everything back, it washer jet worked properly at full pressure.

DSCF3174.JPG

[/color]
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Bit of boot polish needed on the accelerator pedal!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

gloucester wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:19 pm Bit of boot polish needed on the accelerator pedal!
hahahaha, I would see to that :mrgreen:
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

A few more jobs :)

Wheels were sanded using various levels of sanding discs. Biggest regret with one was that I used a flap wheel type angle grinder on one wheel and it was way to powerful at taking off the lacquer; it took chunks out of the metal. I then set about to buy good quality sanding discs that remove more material and did not take all day and reverted back to the sander. Went up to P2500 wet sanding, then used metal polish. This is just before wipe down for lacquer.

DSCF3180.JPG

All wheels done and lacquered.

DSCF3181.JPG

DSCF3182.JPG

Wheel nuts polished. Used a wirewool with the polish paste. Then buff it off with micro fibre cloth. The four on left are done, with one on the right undone to show comparison.

DSCF3183.JPG

Wheel on rear

DSCF3184.JPG

DSCF3187.JPG

Wheel on front

DSCF3188.JPG

Look of car has changed with the wheels, bodywork needs to be tackled next

DSCF3194.JPG

I changed the front wheel bearings. One thing that was annoying me that there was far too much of a droning roaring noise from the front around 25mph and above, then the faster the car got the louder it went. I suspect it may have been the drivers side as that wheel was harder to rotate compared to the passenger side. It did not give any of the wheel bearing traits of when rocking the wheel up & down, left & right. The time the car got to 60mph it was deafening, unless you turned the stereo on.
I would not put a full photo guide, an excellent one can be seen here with video at and tutorial at https://club.autodoc.co.uk/manuals/how- ... uide-12975 The tutorial takes more steps that you do not need to do, i.e. removing the track rod ends and lower arm balljoint nut.

One pic though to show. I removed the suspension strut to hub carrier nut as it is far easier to get the 17mm bolts out by getting the driveshaft out of the way. Also a lot easier to knock the bearing out by tapping the back of the 17mm bolts with a copper hammer.

DSCF3185.JPG