J12 Parking Brake

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
QashqaiKev
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QashqaiKev »

That's the auto brake hold, which can be turned on and off with the button below the parking brake switch.
xaote wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:08 am I accidentally came across a braking feature when I was on the test drive but I have no idea which of the above it is.
When u are stopped, put more than usual pressure on the brake pedal. It held the car while the lights were red etc and it didn't disengage after a set time.
This was in the xtronic auto I drove, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

xaote

Post by xaote »

QashqaiKev wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:13 am That's the auto brake hold, which can be turned on and off with the button below the parking brake switch.
xaote wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:08 am I accidentally came across a braking feature when I was on the test drive but I have no idea which of the above it is.
When u are stopped, put more than usual pressure on the brake pedal. It held the car while the lights were red etc and it didn't disengage after a set time.
Thanks kev. That's one of the systems I have figured out.
So the parking brake switch... Is that just putting an auto into park position?
I really should do some more manual revision but most times I find out more by driving the car
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic
xaote

Post by xaote »

xaote wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:21 am
QashqaiKev wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:13 am That's the auto brake hold, which can be turned on and off with the button below the parking brake switch.
I really should do some more manual revision but most times I find out more by driving the car
Or is that the handbrake?!!
QashqaiKev

Post by QashqaiKev »

You've got the parking brake switch (which is in place of the hand brake) which you can apply by pulling it up or disengaging by pushing it down (you need to have your foot on the brake). It will also disengage automatically once you're in drive or reverse and put your foot on the gas.

The Auto Brake Hold, as you noted, will essentially hold the foot brake on for you after you firmly press the pedal. Again, this should automatically disengage when you touch the accelerator. (The auto brake hold won't enable if the driver doesn't have their seatbelt fasted, the parking brake is on, the transmission is in park or you're on a steep hill.)

If the auto brake hold has been holding the brake on for more than 3 minutes, it should automatically apply the parking brake and release the foot brake. Same if you move the transmission into park.

As per the OP's original enquiry, as long as you have the auto brake hold feature turned on, the car should automatically apply the parking brake if the ignition is turned off, the car is put into park, the driver's door is opened or their seatbelt is removed.
Steve101
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Steve101 »

QashqaiKev wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:31 am You've got the parking brake switch (which is in place of the hand brake) which you can apply by pulling it up or disengaging by pushing it down (you need to have your foot on the brake). It will also disengage automatically once you're in drive or reverse and put your foot on the gas.

The Auto Brake Hold, as you noted, will essentially hold the foot brake on for you after you firmly press the pedal. Again, this should automatically disengage when you touch the accelerator. (The auto brake hold won't enable if the driver doesn't have their seatbelt fasted, the parking brake is on, the transmission is in park or you're on a steep hill.)

If the auto brake hold has been holding the brake on for more than 3 minutes, it should automatically apply the parking brake and release the foot brake. Same if you move the transmission into park.

As per the OP's original enquiry, as long as you have the auto brake hold feature turned on, the car should automatically apply the parking brake if the ignition is turned off, the car is put into park, the driver's door is opened or their seatbelt is removed.

Very helpful explanation of the. System. Thanks.
Tekna J12, magnetic blue, black roof.
xaote

Post by xaote »

That's an excellent explanation kev, it all makes perfect sense now, thank you.
QashqaiKev wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:31 am You've got the parking brake switch (which is in place of the hand brake) which you can apply by pulling it up or disengaging by pushing it down (you need to have your foot on the brake). It will also disengage automatically once you're in drive or reverse and put your foot on the gas.

Colinh08

Post by Colinh08 »

Have the same problem. I am told by my dealership that the J12 model operates like this and it is down to luck when the handbrake automatically operates. Just seems wrong. Told that unlike the J11 the handbrake cannot be changed in the settings. Can people respond as to how many J12 owners have the same issue and if any handbrakes operate every time as I am looking to reject the car.
MikeGC

Post by MikeGC »

Collin, if I remember I will try mine today.
Having learnt to drive in the early 70s putting the handbrake on (whether mechanical or electronic) is completely automatic - it’s going to be a feat of memory to not automatically flick the switch up.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Colinh08

Post by Colinh08 »

Thanks. It is intermittent and does not operate about 50% of the time. Would like to know if it is a common issue or not as dealership says
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

Colinh08 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:18 am Thanks. It is intermittent and does not operate about 50% of the time. Would like to know if it is a common issue or not as dealership says
It isn't luck as to when it applies. It does it under certain conditions. It won't for example automatically come on if the driver's seatbelt isn't on when you turn the engine off.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021