Intelligent key issues

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
bwfcboy
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by bwfcboy »

Hi,

We have a 2018 Qashqai which came from Motorpoint with both keys. We are nowhere near any Nissan dealerships unfortunately.

About 3 months ago one of the intelligent keys started playing up. I presumed it was the battery so I bought a new one (Duracell)
I made the mistake (I think?) of leaving it without a battery for a couple of weeks.
When I finally replaced the battery the key wouldn't work which I presume was due to the timescale?

Anyhoo.... wind on a couple of months and the other key is now playing up. Randomly, it doesn't work for a few minutes then today the ignition displayed an incorrect key message but eventually it started.

I'm 99% sure this just needs to have a new battery but I'm frightened to death of being left with no key at all.

~ It should be safe to replace the battery shouldn't it if I change it over swiftly?

~ How do I pair up the other key if its lost connection? I read somewhere about disconnecting the car battery to reset the electronics?

~ I know you can start the car by opening the door with the key and pushing the start button with the intelligent key but the alarm goes off. How do you stop that happening?

Technology! :roll:

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

You should be able to start the car even if the i-key's battery is fully discharged (or maybe even missing?):

p5-19
If the battery of the Intelligent Key is discharged, or environmental conditions interfere with the Intelligent Key operation, start the engine according to the following procedure:
1. Move the shift lever to the P (Park) (Automatic (DCT) and Xtronic transmission models) or N (Neutral) (MT models) position
2. Firmly apply the footbrake.
3. Depress the clutch pedal to the floor (MT models)
4. Touch the ignition switch with the Intelligent Key as illustrated. (A chime will sound.)
5. Push the ignition switch while depressing the brake pedal within 10 seconds after the chime sounds. The engine will start.
After step 4 is performed, when the ignition switch is pushed without depressing the brake pedal, the ignition switch position will change to “ACC”.
NOTE
• When the ignition switch is pushed to the “ACC” or “ON” position or the engine is started by the above procedures, the Intelligent Key system warning light may blink in yellow (on
the meter) even if the Intelligent Key is inside the vehicle. This is not a malfunction. To stop the warning light from blinking, touch the ignition switch with the Intelligent Key again.
• If the Intelligent Key system warning light in the meter is blinking in green, replace the battery as soon as possible. (See “Integrated key fob/Intelligent Key battery replacement” in the “8. Maintenance and do-it-yourself” section.)

You might try that with the "non-working" key before doing anything else?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
bwfcboy

Post by bwfcboy »

HI,

Thanks for the quick response. The non-working key will start the car by following the above but the car alarm goes off when it starts!
Subsequently the key doesn't return to working condition, it still seems to be `unpaired` .
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

These keys don't pair in the Bluetooth sense. They operate with a key ID code that only the keys and your car recognise. Its a pre programmed function.

The battery mainly assures the range of the keys...radio transmitter power output and receiver sensitivity. Battery low and able to start the key with a physical "touch" as instructions above.

The Alarm will trigger mainly if any door or the bonnet is unlocked...or has a problem

Does the Alarm cease on its own? If so how long is it sounding approx.
Last edited by calnorth on Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
bwfcboy

Post by bwfcboy »

I'll check when I get in, thanks!
bwfcboy

Post by bwfcboy »

Just for completeness I ought to close this thread off as it might prove useful to someone else.
There's so much misinformation kicking around is very hard to find the right actions.

The car I'm talking about is a 2018 keyless ignition type.

So to confirm, if your key fob isn't working you can use the physical key which unclips from the back of the fob to physically unlock the door then you hold the fob against the ignition button then press the button with the fob and it will start. The alarm goes off when you do this but after about 10 seconds it stops.

The actual problem I had which is now solved was a comedy of errors. I bought some batteries off ebay that were out of date and didn't work. Then I bought some more from Sainsburys but I bought the wrong ones and didn't realise (I know!) and then I bought a 3rd set which weren't working until it dawned on me you have to remove the tiny sticker off the battery. You might read that and laugh but I can't see any instructions to do that on the packet and the writing on the sticker is so small you can't even see it.

So there you go, you live and learn lol!

20211224_140650.jpg

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

All forgiven and you got there in the end...yourself.... :)
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

:lol: :lol: :lol: - reward yourself with an extra portion of xmas pudding for finding the sticker !!!!!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)