Grinding when Braking but it's not ABS?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
ch1984
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by ch1984 »

Hi all,

I have a 2014 Acenta+SV Pack Qashqai. Over the last couple of months I've noticed an intermittent grinding/scraping while braking and **Not while braking hard/going fast etc..

For example I'm driving through a village max speed is 50km/h and I'm approaching a ramp so I'm gradually slowing down but when there is a patch of road with an uneven surface/ridge/start of a pothole (this happens in numerous places, certain roads are familiar/everyday routes) but it only happens when braking and when I'm going over an uneven surface.

I personally don't think it's the ABS.. it doesn't feel like somethings kicking in, also it's when I'm going slow too (I'm also prepared for it in places I'm aware it happens/ or I hold ooff on braking til I've passed the little patch of ground)

It sounds like that noise, if there's snow or ice and you're gradually braking coming to a roundabout. That's the only thing I can liken it to.

Hopefully one of you can advise :)

On a side note: It's in the garage today as Chassis warning came on the dash yesterday incl Stop/Start so it's getting a new altenator/battery and fan belt - (it was cracked)

I'm not sure if it's relevant but any info greatly appreciated :)

Many Thanks
Chantelle

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

ABS activating would be more than a "grinding/scraping" noise wouldn't it?

Have you checked the brake pads for wear - maybe they're getting low?

I wouldn't risk not sorting it out with something as serious as brakes (says someone who's suffered total brake failure in a car previously (c. 1984 in a 304) but fortunately stopped just in time with the handbrake!)
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Check the brake pads condition...all 4 wheels. They are easy to see
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

The outside of the disk is easy to see, but the inner of each disk and pad require getting on hands and knees with a torch to get a good look at. Throw some cardboard down to stop getting dirty.

calnorth wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:48 pm Check the brake pads condition...all 4 wheels. They are easy to see