convert OEM microphone to USB

ICE, Equipment, Options
mr_80s
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by mr_80s »

Hello Fellow Qashqai owners,

I have a 2017 Qasqhai that I've replaced the head unit with an android system. Unfortunately, the internal mic on the system is very poor and I'm told it's hard to hear me.

I'd like to use the existing OEM handsfree mic but since it has the original pin connector, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a converter or adapter to usb? Or if anyone has ever been able to use the original mic on a Chinese android head unit?

Thanks all!

Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

Sorry I cant help but just joining this thread because I'd like to do the same as my cheapo head unit's mic is rubbish.

I am looking at a way of using the original Qashqai mic but it seems to be powered and I haven't figured out how to connect to it yet.

I did get an external mic with the unit but haven't gotten around to trying that yet.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

mr_80s wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:06 pm Hello Fellow Qashqai owners,

I have a 2017 Qasqhai that I've replaced the head unit with an android system. Unfortunately, the internal mic on the system is very poor and I'm told it's hard to hear me.

I'd like to use the existing OEM handsfree mic but since it has the original pin connector, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a converter or adapter to usb? Or if anyone has ever been able to use the original mic on a Chinese android head unit?

Thanks all!
There are some long threads on this site concerning your conversion. I don't think any can use the OEM Nissan supplied Mic adequately. Search for Dasaita

Or check this post about the "newer" microphone
viewtopic.php?p=88260&hilit=qashqai+microphone#p88260

I don't know what the 2017 Qashqai Mic plug is. Diagrams show it as 3 wire and 5v driven. Mono audio signal at about 2v to 2.5v.

If your Android unit doesn't supply 5v on the right pin (of 3) then the Mic won't work...I suspect.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
mr_80s

Post by mr_80s »

Hi @calnorth,

Thanks for the reply. My Android head unit has an RCA input for an external microphone. I'm wondering two things:
1) Which of the existing OEM wires/connectors is the microphone?
2) Can I convert that to an RCA male connector?

I'd rather not run a new mic wire through my panels to the current overhead (OEM) mic location.

Appreciate the reply and if anyone else is reading along, wondering if anyone has been able to successfully use the OEM microphone on an Android head unit?

Cheers
Gel

Post by Gel »

May assist

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
nanias

Post by nanias »

Does anyone have news about this subject? I'm also interested in this (reuse the original microphone with a Android tablet (Sinosmart)). Thanks