A Word of Warning

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I had a slow puncture in my rear offside tyre so went to the tyre dealers to get it sorted. I found that the tyres were letting air out through the treads :shock: The tyres had a good 4mm tread left on them, but were the original Continental tyres fitted when new in 2014. I have been caravanning for a number of years and alway changed my caravan tyres every 5 years or so, but I have never expected car tyres to disintegrate in the same way as caravan tyres. The area concerned was between the tread pattern, where, when the wheel was off the car, could be seen quite clearly. CHECK YOU TYRES ESPECIALLY REAR TYRES AS THEY SEEM TO LAST FOREVER.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.

Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

All tyres age , and its recommended to replace them regardless of wear after a period of years
xaote
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by xaote »

Qashowner wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:18 pm I had a slow puncture in my rear offside tyre so went to the tyre dealers to get it sorted. I found that the tyres were letting air out through the treads :shock: The tyres had a good 4mm tread left on them, but were the original Continental tyres fitted when new in 2014. I have been caravanning for a number of years and alway changed my caravan tyres every 5 years or so, but I have never expected car tyres to disintegrate in the same way as caravan tyres. The area concerned was between the tread pattern, where, when the wheel was off the car, could be seen quite clearly. CHECK YOU TYRES ESPECIALLY REAR TYRES AS THEY SEEM TO LAST FOREVER.

Good warning as it's not somewhere people think to look.
It's a very common place for older tyres to disintegrate, especially on caravans where people tend to leave the van sitting on the same piece of tyre for 6 months of the year, every month I move my van forward 1/4 of the tyre.
I am really shocked you can get 7 years out of a set of car tyres, I'm lucky to get 1!
Note to self, I must slow down
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic