Android auto

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
xaote
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:29 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by xaote » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:02 pm

I've never used android auto.
When checking, my phone already has it installed but I can't find a way to launch it. Does it start up automatically when I connect it to the car?
I haven't got my J12 yet, I'm just reading through the owners manual, so much to learn!!
Thanks, Jim

User avatar
gloucester
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 am
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:23 pm

It should launch automatically but mine's very hit'n'miss as to whether it's going to work. I've tried various leads and now use a short one that works about 75% of the time.

Android Auto itself varies between phones. It was an app on my S8 but it's inbuilt into the operating system on my S21 and accessed for settings through System.

With the app some say it's better to start AA on the phone first, but I didn't find that made much difference to connection success. And you can't do that with the inbuilt version anyway.

You do have to, at least on my Suzuki, hit the "Connect" button on the central display once the car recognises the phone's been connected.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07

xaote
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:29 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by xaote » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:33 am

gloucester wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:23 pm
It should launch automatically but mine's very hit'n'miss as to whether it's going to work. I've tried various leads and now use a short one that works about 75% of the time.

Android Auto itself varies between phones. It was an app on my S8 but it's inbuilt into the operating system on my S21 and accessed for settings through System.

With the app some say it's better to start AA on the phone first, but I didn't find that made much difference to connection success. And you can't do that with the inbuilt version anyway.

You do have to, at least on my Suzuki, hit the "Connect" button on the central display once the car recognises the phone's been connected.
Fantastic, thank you very much.
My huawei must be built in as well, there is no way to launch it, I looked everywhere, even in the app settings and directly through the play store.

User avatar
MikeGC
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:50 am
Location: Stockport
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by MikeGC » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 pm

Android Auto should start automatically
My partner has AA and uses it regularly.
She finds that opening the phone and having the car running (it’s a Leaf) means AA always starts.
This is also my experience with CarPlay.
Awaiting J12 auto Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black - April 2022 ?
July '19 J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)

xaote
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:29 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by xaote » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am

MikeGC wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 pm
Android Auto should start automatically
My partner has AA and uses it regularly.
She finds that opening the phone and having the car running (it’s a Leaf) means AA always starts.
This is also my experience with CarPlay.
Thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

xaote
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:29 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by xaote » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:59 am

This is an interesting project I was told about by someone with a lot more technical knowledge than me.
The AAWireless dongle does away with the need of a cable from android phone to the QQ's USB. Your phone connects to the box, the box is permanently connected to the cars USB socket. Thankfully it will be nicely hidden under the armrest unlike many other cars. (I plan to use a bit of sticky velcro to hold it in place)
It is only available as a pre order atm, I have one on order because you get a bit of a discoun. It is early into the development stage so no guarantee it is going to work with every make/model of android phone but I believe it works in the QQ, but again, there are no guarantees. I'm sure there will be a lot of updates to come in the future. Please don't order one on my word alone, do your research first.

When I get my car I will report back with feedback.

For some reason the link is broken. Google indiegogo AAWireless

Screenshot_20211127_120452_com.android.chrome.jpg


ilkka
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:38 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by ilkka » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:27 pm

xaote wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:59 am
This is an interesting project I was told about by someone with a lot more technical knowledge than me.
The AAWireless dongle does away with the need of a cable from android phone to the QQ's USB. Your phone connects to the box, the box is permanently connected to the cars USB socket. Thankfully it will be nicely hidden under the armrest unlike many other cars. (I plan to use a bit of sticky velcro to hold it in place)
It is only available as a pre order atm, I have one on order because you get a bit of a discoun. It is early into the development stage so no guarantee it is going to work with every make/model of android phone but I believe it works in the QQ, but again, there are no guarantees. I'm sure there will be a lot of updates to come in the future. Please don't order one on my word alone, do your research first.

When I get my car I will report back with feedback.

For some reason the link is broken. Google indiegogo AAWireless
I actually ordered one and I believe Qashowner did as well. Mine works flawlessly with my J12. I planned on just using two sided tape to put it in place inside the armrest but haven't done so yet.
Current: Nissan Qashqai 2021 J12 1.3 MHEV 158 Xtronic 4WD Tekna+ (Magnetic Blue)
Previously: Nissan Qashqai 2008 J10 1.6 Acenta with glass roof

xaote
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:29 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by xaote » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:44 pm

ilkka wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:27 pm
xaote wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:59 am
This is an interesting project I was told about by someone with a lot more technical knowledge than me.
The AAWireless dongle does away with the need of a cable from android phone to the QQ's USB. Your phone connects to the box, the box is permanently connected to the cars USB socket. Thankfully it will be nicely hidden under the armrest unlike many other cars. (I plan to use a bit of sticky velcro to hold it in place)
It is only available as a pre order atm, I have one on order because you get a bit of a discoun. It is early into the development stage so no guarantee it is going to work with every make/model of android phone but I believe it works in the QQ, but again, there are no guarantees. I'm sure there will be a lot of updates to come in the future. Please don't order one on my word alone, do your research first.

When I get my car I will report back with feedback.

For some reason the link is broken. Google indiegogo AAWireless
I actually ordered one and I believe Qashowner did as well. Mine works flawlessly with my J12. I planned on just using two sided tape to put it in place inside the armrest but haven't done so yet.
That's good to know, thanks. What phone do you have?

User avatar
gloucester
Posts: 3998
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 am
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:26 pm

There are now at least three competing wireless adaptors.


AAWireless - https://www.cpeb.it/ +

... and the newcomer yet to start shipping? - Carsifi - https://carsifi.com/


Then there's the CarPlay only CPLAY2air - https://cplay2air.com/


I presume all require you also to have wireless charging too otherwise the powerdrain will be too much? Hence I'm not bothering with the present car since I don't have wireless charging.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07

ilkka
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:38 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by ilkka » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:35 pm

xaote wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:44 pm
ilkka wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:27 pm

I actually ordered one and I believe Qashowner did as well. Mine works flawlessly with my J12. I planned on just using two sided tape to put it in place inside the armrest but haven't done so yet.
That's good to know, thanks. What phone do you have?
I have a Oneplus 7 pro with android 11.
Current: Nissan Qashqai 2021 J12 1.3 MHEV 158 Xtronic 4WD Tekna+ (Magnetic Blue)
Previously: Nissan Qashqai 2008 J10 1.6 Acenta with glass roof

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post