How to drive downhill?

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
zoky
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by zoky »

Hey guys, a proud owner of J12 N-Connecta (after owning J11 QQ 1.5 dCi for 5 years).

I've been driving manual transmission cars... since I started driving, and now this is the first automatic that I own, now my question will seem rather silly or noobish, but hey, for me answers will be worth it.

Of course I googled left and right and I'm worried about Nissan xtronic CVT, and as I live uphill (not a biggie tho, 5 mins up or down), I was wondering what would be the best to protect that CVT as much as possible.

Should I burn breaks going downhill, or should I "shift down" (I'm aware there are no actual gears) using pedals on a wheel so the engine helps there. Would the latter increase the strain on CVT?

Thanks for your advices!

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I'd always use the gearbox rather than the brakes.

Haven't a clue what difference it might be with a CVT.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
xaote

Post by xaote »

zoky wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:34 am Hey guys, a proud owner of J12 N-Connecta (after owning J11 QQ 1.5 dCi for 5 years).

I've been driving manual transmission cars... since I started driving, and now this is the first automatic that I own, now my question will seem rather silly or noobish, but hey, for me answers will be worth it.

Of course I googled left and right and I'm worried about Nissan xtronic CVT, and as I live uphill (not a biggie tho, 5 mins up or down), I was wondering what would be the best to protect that CVT as much as possible.

Should I burn breaks going downhill, or should I "shift down" (I'm aware there are no actual gears) using pedals on a wheel so the engine helps there. Would the latter increase the strain on CVT?

Thanks for your advices!
Hi zoky.

Although I haven't got my QQ yet, I have had Mercedes with a cvt auto for many years and I regularly tow a caravan. I always use the manual shift to get down to the lowest gear possible without over revving to facilitate engine breaking
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

I have had CVT gearboxes for years and they are different than standard autos. On my QQ 1.6 cdi when I travel down hill I let the car do its thing and just cover the brake. It seems to use the auto box and engine braking to maintain the speed limit, if you have the speed limit sensor, maybe lets it drift 5 or mph over, hence covering brake. I have never used the auto box in manual mode to slow the car, just the footbrake as and when required.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

Going in to the sporty mode will put it on a lower gear for longer
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

For me , regardless of transmission - I would use the brakes every time.

The reason being its quicker , easier and cheaper to replace brakes , rather than a manual ( IE clutch etc ) or auto transmission
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

Buffy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:22 am For me , regardless of transmission - I would use the brakes every time.

The reason being its quicker , easier and cheaper to replace brakes , rather than a manual ( IE clutch etc ) or auto transmission
Exactly, as my late Grandfather used to tell me, brake discs/pads are considerably cheaper to replace than a gearbox, even though I have a manual transmission I tend to push the middle pedal more than the left when slowing down, even when out in my V8 I still forego the pops and bangs whilst dropping down a few cogs and just use the brakes, but tbh whatever way you choose, it's your choice.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Let the gearbox do what it wants and use the brakes. I'm unsure how the Nissan Box works, but with the BMW I recently sold, it knows when its descending a hill, approaching a roundabout or junction and changes accordingly. Helps if you have a big engine also, but the Nissan lacks this.

The brakes are cheap, the gearbox, well I guess you know it's very expensive.

zoky wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:34 am Hey guys, a proud owner of J12 N-Connecta (after owning J11 QQ 1.5 dCi for 5 years).

Thanks for your advices!
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I've been driving for 46 years and I've not had a gearbox or clutch fail owing to being overworked. Hence I'll continue to use the gearbox...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
xaote

Post by xaote »

https://theorytest.org.uk/youre-about-t ... r-vehicle/

I don't mean to start a forum domestic :lol:
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic