Speed Cameras

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

OK #Sandgrounder...is there anything about Waypoints . That would allow a detailed route to be uploaded which is a common and useful function to have. POIs might be a sub menu there?

If it doesn't accept "My POIs" which was Speed Cam specific and triggers the Speed Cam Icon (+alarm tone) on right lower corner of a Connect 3 headunit (>2017 J11b) something has been changed/removed.

I don't like subscription systems based on a motor manufacturers ideas.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

QaiFan
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by QaiFan »

If I understand correctly what Sandgrounder has posted then this is a real-time update of traffic circumstances (using the builtin esim).
A bit like Google Maps and Waze and maybe even 1 (main-area) map that will be updated too in -almost- realtime (?).
AFAIK Maps and Waze do not allow for custom POIs, only waypoints (however these can not be 'loaded' from flash stick).
It would in fact amaze me a bit if TomTom would allow *both* (like ... speed cameras) as this might be conflicting and then we might accuse TomTom of transmitting inaccurate data ???
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

If we're getting roadworks/congestion/speed camera etc info from tomtom then I'm happy. Can rarely fault tomtom in the many many years I've used tomtom live. With tomtom you can also import your own POIs straight from your PC to mydrive...although I doubt that functionality with come with the Nissan. But to be honest I'll probably still have the tomtom running in the armrest just for reassurance
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

hootintootin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:48 am If we're getting roadworks/congestion/speed camera etc info from tomtom then I'm happy. Can rarely fault tomtom in the many many years I've used tomtom live. With tomtom you can also import your own POIs straight from your PC to mydrive...although I doubt that functionality with come with the Nissan. But to be honest I'll probably still have the tomtom running in the armrest just for reassurance
You sum the problem up well as regards POIs. What Nissan has embodied is a money scraper and for an application that we cannot adjust for accuracy (relevance). By that I mean the removal of errors/duplicates and addition of useful data points. Also correction of data points.

I'd still have to use either a Garmin or TomTom GPS for Speed Cams although an application exists on PocketGPSWorld for Android and Apple mob phones...I think? That of course requires subscription but covers multiple personnel devices and is updated by users (drivers) constantly.

The other thing of course is Waze particularly in Europe if I understand correctly.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

QaiFan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:43 am If I understand correctly what Sandgrounder has posted then this is a real-time update of traffic circumstances (using the builtin esim).
A bit like Google Maps and Waze and maybe even 1 (main-area) map that will be updated too in -almost- realtime (?).
AFAIK Maps and Waze do not allow for custom POIs, only waypoints (however these can not be 'loaded' from flash stick).
It would in fact amaze me a bit if TomTom would allow *both* (like ... speed cameras) as this might be conflicting and then we might accuse TomTom of transmitting inaccurate data ???
They are all Waypoints...or all POIs. Depends on use context. They are both loaded if I remember correctly from PC and for Waypoints using the supplied Management software in the Map Route Construction section. Speed Cams are a separate load along with camera symbols (types).
Last edited by calnorth on Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

But calnorth, can you import data (POI or other) into Google Maps and/or Waze ???
"The are both loaded if I remember correctly from PC and for Waypoints using the supplied Management software in the Map Route Construction section. " ... is/was that in Nissan 2017-2021 J11b ???
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

QaiFan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:39 pm But calnorth, can you import data (POI or other) into Google Maps and/or Waze ???
"The are both loaded if I remember correctly from PC and for Waypoints using the supplied Management software in the Map Route Construction section. " ... is/was that in Nissan 2017-2021 J11b ???

Google Maps is the Toy version of Google Earth. Inputs (imports) to Google Earth are as shown: (Routes, Tracks, Waypoints...all POIs or collections of same)

That would be the same if you had Garmin, Magellan or TomTom GPS with their PC Map Applications.

Google Earth might be a bit limited compared to the Map Apps mentioned above. Can't quite remember.

Scree12.png

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
QaiFan

Post by QaiFan »

calnorth "supplied Management software in the Map Route Construction" Is that picture above from thar PC program ???
But that is for the PC version ?
BTW I know a.o. of a route planner like Android "MyRoute" :
It has an online and Android (Auto) / Apple (carplay) part but this has nothing to do with Nissan of course.
https://www.myrouteonline.com/user-guid ... te-planner
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ne.MyRoute
So the question still remains I guess ... is this and loading speed cameras etc. somehow possible for the J12 Nissan/TomTom in-car navigation ?
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

No...its from Google Earth (free) and is PC version. I don't know about Android/Apple with Google Earth. Nissan won't use that likely because it will cost them a licence.

I don't have a J12. However, if you cannot find within the Nav menus a place that is distinctly for "uploading/installing" Speed Cam data...the answer is its NOT possible to manually load Speed Cam data. I suspect Nissan have got themselves out of possible European hot water ...if not capable

I'd expect your Nissan Nav Box to allow you to load a personalised Route though. How you would get from A to B via particular Waypoints (POIs).
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
garzooz

Post by garzooz »

Hi All,

sorry for not seeing these posts sooner - when I got my J12 it was one of the first things I went looking for in the settings. My only gripe is the camera alert is quite gentle and easily missed. The tomtom on my previous car (Fiat 500) would blast a camera alert which I very much appreciated.

Maybe a topic for another thread but what are all your thoughts on the routing of Tomtom vs Apple/Google Maps. I find that Apple/Google maps tend to take me through some back roads which save time but here in London they are now blocking the use of some routes to prevent rat-runs by putting up these (and I'm not sure what they are officially called) residential cameras which fine you unless you live on the road or somehow flagged by a resident as a visitor. Very frustrating.