Car wont start after arbag dischrged

ICE, Equipment, Options
mabailey1
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by mabailey1 »

Hi hope some one can help me out.

Appologies in advance for the long post but i'd thought i'd give a bit of history with the issue.
I have a 2009 Qashqai J10, 2.0L auto. I brought from a Nissan dealer in Romford Essex in 2012 and shipped over the same year to Barbados where I now live.
She has served me well with not to much things going wrong.
About 1 months ago I noticed the airbag light flashing and my cell phone once paired to the car kept trying to dial out by itself whatever last number I had dialed when not connected to the car stereo. My horn stopped working also. Cause i work from home now i didn't think much of it as i don't use the car that often. I just turned off my blue tooth and would research the airbag and horn issue at a later date.
about 2 weeks ago while driving the horn started blaring continuously then stopped. when i got home as soon as i tried to turn off the engine and removed the key the horn would continuously sound and the engine would not turn off. I'm not a machanic so didn't no what to do. Actually i was panicking a bit, what do i do leave the car running all night till the petrol ran out. i pulled out the horn fuse which stopped that going off, i pulled the neg battery lead(was advised later i should not of done this) but the car was still running. i removed the ignition fuse but car was still running, . the only thing that cut the engine was when i put the key back in and turned it pass the ignition start point.
The next day i tried to start the car but it wouldn't start, i put a battery jump starter on but still no joy.
I put a Autel diaglink on and it said i had fault code P1654 ASCD Steering fault. I googled it and ordered the correct part # off ebay 2nd hand. It came as i whole unit radio/phone controls, airbag and cruise control.
i swapped out the part crossed my fingers and tried to start. The car started. i was so happy. i put the fuse back in for the horn and but it started to sound continuously again. I quickly removed the horn fuse. i notice as well the airbag light was flashing again. I decided to take it around the block and in doing a 3 point turn in a cul-de-sac the airbag deployed, thank god i was on the reverse part of the maneuver looking behind me when the airbag dis-charged, it hit my arm mainly. i had to get the car towed back to my house as it would not start, when you turn the ignition you only see the red engine light flash briefly . No other lights on the dsah, no clicking from the engine., nothing.. Its in my drive today covered up with tarp as my front windows are down and I cant do them up. we have a nissan dealer out here but what they will charge i may as well buy another car. I have a local machanic trying to help me but he needs some sort of flow chart to diagnose. I brought a pdf service manual off ebay but that wasn't of any help to him.
if there's anyone on here that's ever experinced something like this I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction. Or am i on a lost cause when something like this happens.
If i can get a few more years out of her I'd be happy,

Mark

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I don't have much technical knowledge but the issues you're talking about sound like in part an issue with the "clock spring" which connects the steering wheel controls to the rest of the car.

Not sure what you've already replaced - "the correct part # "?

Parts diagrams can be found at https://nissan-europe.epc-data.com/qashqai/j10e/

Workshop manual can be found at https://cardiagn.com/nissan-qashqai-mod ... ce-manual/

Others will have to advise further
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
mabailey1

Post by mabailey1 »

nissan airbag.PNG

Thank you for your response.

the part i ordered frrom Ebay was NISSAN QASHQAI J10 MK1 STEERING WHEEL AIRBAG 98510JD16D. I have uploaded a picture. the part number was the same from what i took out.

Thank you for the advise and links provided, i will pass them over to my machanic.

once i get an update i will reeport back.

Mark
mabailey1

Post by mabailey1 »

Hi gloucester

Update:

I checked all my fuses and found a blown red 10amp labeled Electronics in the drivers compartment.
Once that was changed i had full dash instrument lights and the car started, i could now close the windows :)
Another check with the diag tool and it showed 3 air bag faults B1049(Driver Airbag module open), B1054(Driver Airbag module open ), B1052(Driver Airbag module short).
These seemed to corollate with what you stated about the clock spring, so i ordered one.
This came yesterday and once fitted and old codes cleared, I retested and my tester showed no faults.
Was a bit hesitant to drive it but I cautiously did. I'm glad to say she drove good with no issues.
The only thing now is that my horn doesn't work where it was continuedly sounding before.
I will investigate this over the weekend. For now I'm just glad I'm back on the road.

Thanks again for your help.

Mark
mabailey1

Post by mabailey1 »

Update:

With all the prodding and poking I had the horn lead off.

Once plugged in all is working fine

Marj
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Always helps to have things wired up!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)