Distance to empty/Fuel Gauge issue

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
ks87
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by ks87 »

Good evening. Please excuse the fact I'm clueless with cars but I'll explain this the best way I can.
I have a really strange problem with my 2007 Nissan Qashqai for the last 48 hours. My petrol light came on, so I chucked £25 in.
My distance to empty/computer mileage estimation went up to approx 125 miles before Id need to fill up.
Drove home, and my computer mile estimation dropped down by nearly 40 miles (when I'd driven only 2 miles and I don't drive like an idiot - usually this does not happen lol)
Did another trip the next day, short distance.
Same again. I checked if I could see/smell any fuel but it does not seem thr car is not leaking fuel at all. Have had it in the garage today they cannot see a fuel leak anywhere at all. So they sent me home and said to monitor it.
Lo and behold drive it home and it's still doing the same thing. No joke I drive for 30 seconds (genuinely not exaggerating) and it drops a mile on my distance to empty/mile allowance. Im sure the fuel gauge has dropped in bars too. Til I put a bit more fuel in I won't know if it's the fuel gauge itself too but of course I don't want to put too much in, if it is somehow leaking as it's a waste of money!
Anyone got any idea what the hell is going on.
Obviously going back to the garage tomorrow but clearly they have no idea either.
No warning lights etc, car is driving fine. No funny smells, etc. Thanks for any help. Sorry if I haven't explained it well, cars are not my strong point

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Welcome to the forum

Not very car savvy either and technically inept but….
Go into your settings menu and reset your MPG figure.
If you are doing very short journeys, this might be real. Until the engine warms through it will be pretty uneconomical. Try setting aside some time and do a reasonable mileage, preferably on main roads/dual carriageway/motorway and you should see the MPG figure improve
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

Good advice above
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

could be the tank sender
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

You distance to refill is calculated on current fuel consumption and amount in the tank. When you pulled into the fuel station, the car was on a journey and your fuel consumption was probably quite good. You stopped the car, filled up and then started and drove off. Your new fuel consumption figures will then be calculated from the time you restarted the car, and if you are normal, pulled away off the pump in first, had to stop to see if it was clear to proceed etc etc. Fuel consumption is then very poor. That is probably the reason why the loss of 40 miles. If you want to try it, start the car drive off and get on a motorway and keep to 60mph, you should see your distance to next refill increase as the fuel consumption improves.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Youngest78

Post by Youngest78 »

To the OP, did you ever get to the bottom of this? Because this is what is happening to me and it’s driving me mad, and at today’s fuel prices I simply can’t afford to be filling up every time an erroneous display tells me to…
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Youngest78 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:55 pm To the OP, did you ever get to the bottom of this? Because this is what is happening to me and it’s driving me mad, and at today’s fuel prices I simply can’t afford to be filling up every time an erroneous display tells me to…
are you filling your tank full ? if your putting £20 of fuel in remember your not even getting 10ltrs so the fuel gauge won`t be moveing that much
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Youngest78 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:55 pm To the OP, did you ever get to the bottom of this? Because this is what is happening to me and it’s driving me mad, and at today’s fuel prices I simply can’t afford to be filling up every time an erroneous display tells me to…
I might be wrong but I don’t think you will receive an answer from the OP.
As far as I can tell, that was their only post on the forum.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
Youngest78

Post by Youngest78 »

andy2019 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 am
are you filling your tank full ? if your putting £20 of fuel in remember your not even getting 10ltrs so the fuel gauge won`t be moveing that much
No. At the current prices I can’t afford to. Something is definitely amiss. I am putting £20 or £30 at a time from ‘empty’ and within several miles it’s flashing again and miles left to empty is shooting down. I put £20 in on Monday which is 10 litres which I’d have thought would get me roughly 70 miles. I know for a fact I’ve done no more than 20 miles since and the mileage is telling me I’ve done 38 and the miles left to empty is showing 10. I can’t afford to fill up my tank at £100 just to confirm my display is incorrect.
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Youngest78 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:33 pm
andy2019 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 am
No. At the current prices I can’t afford to. Something is definitely amiss. I am putting £20 or £30 at a time from ‘empty’ and within several miles it’s flashing again and miles left to empty is shooting down. I put £20 in on Monday which is 10 litres which I’d have thought would get me roughly 70 miles. I know for a fact I’ve done no more than 20 miles since and the mileage is telling me I’ve done 38 and the miles left to empty is showing 10. I can’t afford to fill up my tank at £100 just to confirm my display is incorrect.
It is not going to work correctly if you are filling up on on those amounts. It really needs to be set properly from a full tank or near half tank. The notches for the fuel tank also is a bit incorrect. When at full, it would appear that it has a further 3 notches worth before it would then take a notch away fromt he display, then everything works ok after.
To full the tank on the J10 was around £104
:cry:
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta