P0263 Fuel injection issue k9k

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
h22_dan
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by h22_dan »

Hi Everyone

I've been on this forum a few years but never posted until now , I have a very weird problem with my Qashqai, ill try to explain below.

Around 18 months ago an engine light came on and after code reading it said INJ 1 was at max capacity (car still driving fine) cleared codes and carried on for another year or soo. Then last month the light came back on , this time it said INJ 3+4 at max capacity along with glow plug issues. I decided to bite the bullet and do a major service , so I ordered 4 brand new siemens VDO injectors , 4x glow plugs , a new Bosch fuel filter , cambelt and waterpump.
A local Mechanic and friend carried out the work.
We first changed the timing belt /waterpump and fuel filter etc , After all that was fine and timed up and running correctly we decided to do the injectors. They all came out fine along with the glow plugs and the new ones were fitted with new copper washers and fitted into the vehicle. The coding was done ( CYL 1 GBOX END) and it fired up after priming it.

After 10-15 minutes idling , it started hunting so we ran diagnostics and it came up with a P0263 which was something about fuel injector calibration cyl 1 signal incoherence Permanent fault. We cleared the fault and it came straight back on , so we decided to swap out injector 1 and 4 to see if it moved over , we recoded and the same again p0263 cyl 1

I researched the code and came to the conclusion it might be the non genuine fuel filter , so put my original one back in and had the same problems.

In the end we put my original injectors back in and re coded them and it ran fine no issues and no fault codes, until a few days ago that is where the fault has reappeared ? The car does run fine although a little noisy (like injector knock ) on acceleration , and has once been a little jerky for a few minutes around 70mph. I figured a good few hundred miles on the car may help the system to perhaps re learn things , but this fault isn't going away.

I have since purchased a newer j11b Qashqai for the family and so that i could really dive into this without needing the car to use.

Has anyone had any similar issues with a p0263 code or can point me in the right direction of where to start

Thanks

lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Have dealt with this fault before on a juke 1.5 k9k struggled for a while, got to the bottom of it in the end and turned out to be the leak off pipe, when you change the injectors around you can inadvertently reseal them then with engine vibration they lose their seal and allow air to be pulled in.

Replace them and let me know how you get on
h22_dan
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by h22_dan »

Hi thanks for the info , I've replaced the pipes today and it seems to be running better (less injector knock under load) but the code still remains :s , I'm at a loss with it
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

If the code remains mate it must be mechanical check
Compression and cylinder leakage. That code is set when the ecm is correcting a cylinder to its maximum or its minimum ( given more or taken away fuel), this is done by monitoring each cylinders contribution to crank speed if a cylinder isn't contributing enough then it adds more fuel until it does, if it has to go the maximum then it flags this code on the offending cylinder.

For example if you put an extra washer on the end of an injector you increase the cylinder space slightly but you would see correction values go higher as the cylinder now needs more fuel to make the same power as the other 3

Hope this makes sense