J10 Battery Upgrade?

Non-Technical Nissan QashQai chat. Mk2, Mk3
MrSweetE90
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by MrSweetE90 »

Hi All,

Since recently purchasing my 2012 Qashqai J10 1.6 DCI my BMW E90 is off the road for a bit, however, I recently purchased a Bosch S5 A13 95 Ah type 019 battery and it seems a shame to potentially have it getting low. On the BMW you would register and code a new battery if the type or Ah was different to the original which is what I did, is it the same for the Qashqai J10? The battery of course would be a higher Ah than the Qashqai and its still an AGM so could I get away with trying to fit it in without any issues?

Thanks!
2012 Qashqai 1.6 DCI TEKNA Plus

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Assuming the Batt physically fits right...should be ok.

Not sure about J10 cars but certainly J11 types do require a different Batt to be registered. That will remove old Batt performance history and likely allow the new one to be charged correctly. Higher capacity won't mean much other than some difference in time acquiring full charge.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MrSweetE90

Post by MrSweetE90 »

calnorth wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:09 am Assuming the Batt physically fits right...should be ok.

Not sure about J10 cars but certainly J11 types do require a different Batt to be registered. That will remove old Batt performance history and likely allow the new one to be charged correctly. Higher capacity won't mean much other than some difference in time acquiring full charge.
Hi Mate,

Well in my head the engine bay had a little room by the battery but it seems the 096 battery just about fits so my 019 battery doesn't stand a chance unfortunately as its enormous to a typical battery due to the modules in the BMW.

I think this qashqai battery is on its way out though, the cold morning starts are a tad long and it doesn't seem as perky when cranking. I doubled checked for parasitic draw by taking a voltage reading after my final drive and then in the morning and the battery did mai tain 12.37v but still I'd expect 12.6v so I don't think it's fully holding its capacity.

Furthermore, I can't wrap my head around the charging system of the Qashqai. When running I see the typical 13.7/14v on my newly installed touch screen which shows the voltage which I've attached a photo of, but then it will appear to drop off back to battery voltage and hover in the battery voltage region) 12.6/12.1v etc so I didn't know if the Qashqai had a similar technology to the Intelligent Battery Sensor found on BMW's and once charged the alternator will turn off the high 14v and go to a lower charging rate? But what really concerned me was, Ive seen the voltage drop to around 11.6v and 11.8v and it wasn't momentary either, I was honestly expecting to see some errors popping up on the dash because I know if 12v isn't supplied to modules in the BMW when an alternator/battery fails you get ABS/Transmission and whole host of other faults show.

Could you possibly chime in on that as I'm not sure whether it's normal on a Qashqai to vary this much in voltage?

20211005_095013.jpg

20211005_095049.jpg

20211005_095112.jpg

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

I know nothing about the J10 charging performance. My J11b played the game of Battery dying off about 2.5 years from new. Changed under warranty and that battery would at times make excursions into approx 10v territory and start. Then it didn't. My 2017 QQ flagged no errors related to power reliability during this period so their "energy management" means nothing to me. Its still me and a DVM/AVO.

I can confirm the terminal volts you see though. That is pretty much the charging and static values but will be dependant on temperature and cell condition (age/use).

The killer these days is frequent short journeys accompanied by Start/Stop. Add lights/heater of course.

Theoretically the Batt should not drop below 12v. They do of course and with a good charge they will recover and continue. Ultimately they will loose reliable current delivery as terminal volts fall under load. My 97 BMW 525 never failed electrically in 10 years and I don't remember changing the Battery. Uncomplicated and very reliable machine.

The main test is a bench type load tester.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
MrSweetE90

Post by MrSweetE90 »

calnorth wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:09 am I know nothing about the J10 charging performance. My J11b played the game of Battery dying off about 2.5 years from new. Changed under warranty and that battery would at times make excursions into approx 10v territory and start. Then it didn't. My 2017 QQ flagged no errors related to power reliability during this period so their "energy management" means nothing to me. Its still me and a DVM/AVO.

I can confirm the terminal volts you see though. That is pretty much the charging and static values but will be dependant on temperature and cell condition (age/use).

The killer these days is frequent short journeys accompanied by Start/Stop. Add lights/heater of course.

Theoretically the Batt should not drop below 12v. They do of course and with a good charge they will recover and continue. Ultimately they will loose reliable current delivery as terminal volts fall under load. My 97 BMW 525 never failed electrically in 10 years and I don't remember changing the Battery. Uncomplicated and very reliable machine.

When my 330d battery was dying I even popped to quick fit and they put one of those Bosch testers on and it passed every check, so I went to town doing a whole heap of tests like looking for parasitic draws by waiting for the car to enter sleep while having a multimeter reading amps on the disconnected battery terminal and after having another dead battery in the morning I swapped it for a Bosch agm and I never had a single issue again, it's surprising that despite the battery looking okay figure wise it actually wasn't. My qashqai just about started today but displayed a host of errors including system failure as I believe the modules wasn't even getting enough power while cranking. I've got AA Parts and Garage cover but Unfortantely I need the battery to be flat out dead to call them out but with a £35 excess I'll definitely use my AA for a battery this time, on the BMW I didn't know they covered batteries and purchased one myself :lol:
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

MrSweetE90 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:53 pm
calnorth wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:09 am I know nothing about the J10 charging performance. My J11b played the game of Battery dying off about 2.5 years from new. Changed under warranty and that battery would at times make excursions into approx 10v territory and start. Then it didn't. My 2017 QQ flagged no errors related to power reliability during this period so their "energy management" means nothing to me. Its still me and a DVM/AVO.

When my 330d battery was dying I even popped to quick fit and they put one of those Bosch testers on and it passed every check, so I went to town doing a whole heap of tests like looking for parasitic draws by waiting for the car to enter sleep while having a multimeter reading amps on the disconnected battery terminal and after having another dead battery in the morning I swapped it for a Bosch agm and I never had a single issue again, it's surprising that despite the battery looking okay figure wise it actually wasn't. My qashqai just about started today but displayed a host of errors including system failure as I believe the modules wasn't even getting enough power while cranking. I've got AA Parts and Garage cover but Unfortantely I need the battery to be flat out dead to call them out but with a £35 excess I'll definitely use my AA for a battery this time, on the BMW I didn't know they covered batteries and purchased one myself :lol:
The RAC will condemn a Battery at about 45% capacity reading. Thats a replacement if within Warranty.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta