Drilled Brake Disc recommendation?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

Tekno wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:35 pm Hi all, my brake discs are overcome with rust and I’m looking to swap them with some aftermarket discs drilled and grooved etc. Has anyone fitted any and could recommend? As far as I can see the choice is Black Diamond or Zimmerman? Any others? Any thoughts on either of these?

Thanks
Unless you go for carbon discs, all discs will rust, it is how they work. The early disc brakes on motorcycles were stainless steel, but were found wanting when wet, they did not work well at all. If your discs are rusty, that is a sign of lack of use as the pads should wipe the rust away. If you are still getting rusty discs under normal driving your pads may be seized and not operating correctly.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I've always be curious as to why my bikes' brake discs don't go rusty. There must be some residual difference.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

There are many companies that do "Anti-corrosion UV coating" for brake disks. Here is a quick review of some brands in the USA I just found to give a flavour.

https://www.autoguide.com/top-7-best-pe ... -need-them

I'm sure someone could find something a little more European ;)

Qashowner wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 pm Unless you go for carbon discs, all discs will rust, it is how they work. The early disc brakes on motorcycles were stainless steel, but were found wanting when wet, they did not work well at all. If your discs are rusty, that is a sign of lack of use as the pads should wipe the rust away. If you are still getting rusty discs under normal driving your pads may be seized and not operating correctly.
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Daewar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 pm There are many companies that do "Anti-corrosion UV coating" for brake disks. Here is a quick review of some brands in the USA I just found to give a flavour.

https://www.autoguide.com/top-7-best-pe ... -need-them

I'm sure someone could find something a little more European ;)

Qashowner wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:10 pm Unless you go for carbon discs, all discs will rust, it is how they work. The early disc brakes on motorcycles were stainless steel, but were found wanting when wet, they did not work well at all. If your discs are rusty, that is a sign of lack of use as the pads should wipe the rust away. If you are still getting rusty discs under normal driving your pads may be seized and not operating correctly.
But it's a coating, as soon as you apply your brakes, the disc pads will begin taking the coating off and you will be back to the steel. and that will rust if not used. Yes it may take a month or so, but we have to replace discs as they wear so I am sure the coating will not last very long.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

gloucester wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:58 pm I've always be curious as to why my bikes' brake discs don't go rusty. There must be some residual difference.
As I said, early bike discs were just flat stainless steel and were useless in the wet, modern bikes are usually drilled and grooved to help braking. Racing bikes use steel or cast iron discs which are great for stopping but a bit pricey for general use and will show all the rusty bits.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Very true I guess, but the only metal exposed after a time will be the contact surface where it touches the pad.

Another idea is what BMW do on some of their cars, where the brake rotors are made in 2 parts. The rotor/braking surface & the hub part being made of different materials.

Qashowner wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:17 am But it's a coating, as soon as you apply your brakes, the disc pads will begin taking the coating off and you will be back to the steel. and that will rust if not used. Yes it may take a month or so, but we have to replace discs as they wear so I am sure the coating will not last very long.
Tekno

Post by Tekno »

When I said my discs were rusting I meant everywhere except the pad swept area, that area doesn’t rust as it’s constantly used. The special coatings are applied to the whole discs I’m not convinced they work all that well but the idea is that they stop the non swept areas from rusting which in the case of the qashqai is quite a good portion of the rotor face itself!

I did paint my calipers and I did get the filled discs all round will pay a pic when I can.

The BMW 2 part rotors are for reducing weight mainly I think and my M Sports discs hardly rusted at all. Not sure what it’s made of. However I replaced those for drilled and grooves too! They have Blue calipers.