IMO Car Wash Thoughts?

General Information Forum for the J11 QashQai. (Formerly Order Forum)
amz2740
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by amz2740 »

Hi all,

So I was just wondering if anyone has used the IMO car wash services?

https://www.imocarwash.com/

I've read some automated carwashes are bad for the paintwork, but I hear IMO washes are not supposed to damage the paint or scratch?

Just wanted your thoughts please thanks.
2019 (19 Plate) 1.5 Tekna Black

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

amz2740, please remember I live in Berlin but yes I used this Auto Wash once. This area is very large for the Wash and then the following Hand Work and is normally very full. A few years back I had a Modified 1,6L Nissan Note with a nice Set of Alloys, until the first time I used this place. It was an automatic moving conveyor system and the Edges of the Alloys got really Gouged Up (Low Profile Tires) by the Chain Driven System so it cost for the repair after a lot of “Not Guilty” comments.

I do not want to put you off this Wash this was just my experience and it might well have been a one off - hopefully !
I personally use our Nissan Dealer‘s Auto Wash (€10 Wash, Wax, Wheel Wash, Under Floor Wash, Dry) Drive the vehicle in Park and the Mc does the rest and for me the wash is good and then I apply the necessaries at home - Dave 😉
This was the Alloy :

C4D4BB80-3B87-4F6B-88B7-5CCDBC949020.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
amz2740

Post by amz2740 »

DaveBerlin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:40 pm amz2740, please remember I live in Berlin but yes I used this Auto Wash once. This area is very large for the Wash and then the following Hand Work and is normally very full. A few years back I had a Modified 1,6L Nissan Note with a nice Set of Alloys, until the first time I used this place. It was an automatic moving conveyor system and the Edges of the Alloys got really Gouged Up (Low Profile Tires) by the Chain Driven System so it cost for the repair after a lot of “Not Guilty” comments.

I do not want to put you off this Wash this was just my experience and it might well have been a one off - hopefully !
I personally use our Nissan Dealer‘s Auto Wash (€10 Wash, Wax, Wheel Wash, Under Floor Wash, Dry) Drive the vehicle in Park and the Mc does the rest and for me the wash is good and then I apply the necessaries at home - Dave 😉
This was the Alloy :
C4D4BB80-3B87-4F6B-88B7-5CCDBC949020.jpeg
Hi Dave, sorry to hear you had a bad experience at imo. This has made me think twice now about going there now. I don't think they do the nissan hand wash at my local dealers, but I'm sure there are many other hand wash places near me or I could just do it myself. 😊
2019 (19 Plate) 1.5 Tekna Black
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

Since buying my 2020 QQ and joining a car detailing forum I wouldn't use an automated car wash if it was the last place on earth, that also goes for the £5.00 car washes that are everywhere nowadays.
You don't know what chemicals and at what dilution they are putting on your car. How many cars have their cheap wash mitts cleaned before yours. I'd hate to think how much dirt and grit gets transferred from one car to another....as the saying goes...the car wash is £5.00 the swirls and scratches are free.
2020 (70 Plate) 1.3 DiG-T 140 ~ 6 Speed Manual ~ Tekna+ in Pearl Black.
2022 (22 Plate) BMW X5 40i xDrive M Sport in Phytonic Blue.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

amz2740, s - - t happens unfortunately ! Actually @ the Nissan Dealer Wash it is automatic the Hand Work / Detailing comes from me. IMHO it is a chore to spend time cleaning your car but in the end it is worthwhile and you get to enjoy it - give it a Go !
malvern_man, this was @ our Nissan Dealer which is about 20kms away but I know the System there (Operator also) and have used it on the Micra / Note / Juke & the 2QQ‘s so I know what I get. Regarding your comments on Chemicals I totally agree, but here it is against the Law to use Chemicals for Car Washing private. You have to use Car Wash Facilities Areas (water is Filtered) as if caught or even reported you are Fined and there are NONE of these Car Park Hand Washes allowed.

I am not into Detail / Detailing but I do like a Clean Motor - Dave ✅😉
Not Washed 😋 :

DF1649D4-ADE7-48FE-85D1-13D986FB8437.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Weasel

Post by Weasel »

malvern_man wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 pm Since buying my 2020 QQ and joining a car detailing forum I wouldn't use an automated car wash if it was the last place on earth, that also goes for the £5.00 car washes that are everywhere nowadays.
You don't know what chemicals and at what dilution they are putting on your car. How many cars have their cheap wash mitts cleaned before yours. I'd hate to think how much dirt and grit gets transferred from one car to another....as the saying goes...the car wash is £5.00 the swirls and scratches are free.
Same goes for Main Dealers that offer that complimentary wash, I recently watched the process and the Wash Monkey was dry humping the paint with his water broom without turning the water on, what a star.

When I bought my Qash the dealer was instructed not to prep it in any way, then it was off for a New Car Detail to get it up to scratch, pardon the pun.
19 plate 1.5dCi n-connecta in Magnetic Red
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

I always elect not to have the free wash at the main dealer after witnessing a cleaner use a soft broom to wash my car.
Needless to say - I objected and now only receive a free vac by my own choice.
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

Buffy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:22 am I always elect not to have the free wash at the main dealer after witnessing a cleaner use a soft broom to wash my car.
Needless to say - I objected and now only receive a free vac by my own choice.

My QQ is going for its first service in September at the main dealers, when I phoned to book it in the service guy mentioned a complimentary 'wash' was also included. I asked him to put in big letters on the service sheet 'please do not wash'. I'm going to print out some A4 sheets saying the same and leave one hanging from my rear view mirror and one taped to the door window. I've seen them cleaning the cars at the main dealers I go to, one 10L bucket full of filthy water and a cloth that looks like it's been used to wash coal with, It must take them about 5 minutes to 'clean' a car :lol:

Last Saturday it took me 4 hours just to thoroughly clean my diamond cut wheels. Spraying the tyres first with a citrus based APC (all purpose cleaner) then scrubbing them with a tyre cleaning brush, then rinse off. Next, mixed up 1.5L of Garage Therapy One wheel shampoo, 30ml of product to 1500ml of water and used that mixture in my IK Pro 2 pump foamer to spray a thick coat of foam onto the wheel. I also mixed up 20ml of product to 20L of water in my wheel bucket and used the 2 bucket method to clean the wheels and barrels with a dedicated microfiber wheel wash mitt and an ultra soft detailing brush to get into the wheel nut holes. After a good rinse off with my power washer I sprayed the wheels with some Diamondbrite Alloy Shield and then rinsed off again. Once I'd dried the wheel and tyres I gave the tyres a coating of tyre shine.
Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

[/quote]
Last Saturday it took me 4 hours just to thoroughly clean my diamond cut wheels. Spraying the tyres first with a citrus based APC (all purpose cleaner) then scrubbing them with a tyre cleaning brush, then rinse off. Next, mixed up 1.5L of Garage Therapy One wheel shampoo, 30ml of product to 1500ml of water and used that mixture in my IK Pro 2 pump foamer to spray a thick coat of foam onto the wheel. I also mixed up 20ml of product to 20L of water in my wheel bucket and used the 2 bucket method to clean the wheels and barrels with a dedicated microfiber wheel wash mitt and an ultra soft detailing brush to get into the wheel nut holes. After a good rinse off with my power washer I sprayed the wheels with some Diamondbrite Alloy Shield and then rinsed off again. Once I'd dried the wheel and tyres I gave the tyres a coating of tyre shine.
[/quote]

Then drive down the road through all the muck and shIt, sounds a good way to waste 4 hours to me. But each to their own :D
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
malvern_man

Post by malvern_man »

Qashowner wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:59 pm
[/quote]

Then drive down the road through all the muck and shIt, sounds a good way to waste 4 hours to me. But each to their own :D
[/quote]

So, from your comment I take it that you never clean your wheels, do you know how much damage brake dust and iron fallout from the discs do to your wheels, especially diamond cut ones.

If you clean your wheels properly then for the next few washes they only need a maintenance wash.

There's nothing worse than seeing a nice car with shit up wheels...imho