TPMS sensor location does not change after rotation

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
dfka_dk
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by dfka_dk »

I bought a new Nissan QashQai from Nissan back in January 2020, with wheels for both summer and winter.
I prefer to swap the tires myself and have not had an issue with TPMS until I started rotating them.

The sensor location does not change when I rotate them.

I have tried to re-calibrate like mentioned in forum posts regarding TPMS, reset the tire pressure, use the method which I use in my other car (let the air out of the tires, starting from drivers front tire and going around clockwise, while power is on and engine off), and use my TPMS reset tool from my previous car.

Nothing seems to change the location.

Have I missed something, or could my Nissan dealer have "locked" the TPMS so it requires a visit?

Thanks

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

AFAIK the factory/dealer registers the sensors with the car. That might be Nissan specific?

So the theory is that the sensors if not faulty or non registered should follow your swapping around the axles.

I suppose you have driven around for about 15mins or so?

Perhaps someone else knows more?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
dfka_dk

Post by dfka_dk »

Yes, I have driven about 6000 km/3700 miles with the issue, evenly split between the winter and summer tires.

I initially thought that I might be an issue with the sensors, however, it’s both sets of tires that display the same issue. Warnings are displayed for each tire when deflating them, and the pressure matches that on the air dispenser, so they seem to be working.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

dfka_dk wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:51 pm Yes, I have driven about 6000 km/3700 miles with the issue, evenly split between the winter and summer tires.

I initially thought that I might be an issue with the sensors, however, it’s both sets of tires that display the same issue. Warnings are displayed for each tire when deflating them, and the pressure matches that on the air dispenser, so they seem to be working.
Its a subject that bothered me last year when I went to service at a local garage I knew well. So I enquired about TPMS troubles. The cost of those sensors is no joke...to me anyway. That garage had changed tyres (non QQ) for me over 15 years. As regards changing a TPMS sensor they did not want to know. Looks like Nissan has locked it in...certainly as regards replacement sensors.

I assume the sensors responds to your configuration tool?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
dfka_dk

Post by dfka_dk »

I never found out how to put the car into learning mode, so I could use my TPMS tool.
I saw some videos where you had to open the panels below the steering wheel and short the TPMS pin to ground 6 times, but I didn’t really feel comfortable doing that on a new car. Especially since I was told (albeit not by Nissan) that it should handle the rotation by itself when the sensors are already registered.

So, I only tried to re-calibrate, reset, or hold the start button for 5 seconds and then try the tool, but it didn’t seem to do anything.
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Only way to do it is with diagnostic equipment such a consult 3 plus or an aftermarket tool that has the ability. No shortcut ways. Seen a post on here a while back about guys saying its done it automatically which clearly doesn't happen but hey ho along as their happy haha
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Is it different with later ones? The 2014 handbook says the following:

TPMS SENSOR ID AND POSITION RECOGNITION

It is recommended that a NISSAN dealer performs the registration of a new TPMS sensor or sensor location.

It is also possible to register the sensor yourself following the procedure below:

Procedure:

1. Change tyre position or have new TPMS sensor fitted.
2. Park with Ignition ON or Engine ON for more than 20 minutes. You must perform this step before driving.
3. Drive the vehicle for several minutes between 25 km/h (16 MPH) and 100 km/h (64 MPH). The TPMS sensor ID and position will automatically be detected.

NOTE

The TPMS might not synchronise if one or more of the following conditions apply:

• Bad road conditions
• The TPMS unit does not receive correct data from tyre pressure sensors
• Driving below 25 km/h (16 MPH)
• Driving above 100 km/h (64 MPH)
• High acceleration
• High deceleration
• In stop and go traffic or traffic waves
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

The 2019 handbook says similar:

NEW AND REPOSITIONED TPMS SENSORS (including fitment of alternative wheels)

It is recommended that a NISSAN dealer performs the registration of a new TPMS sensor or sensor location.

It is also possible to register the sensor yourself following the procedure below:

Procedure:

1. Change tyre position or have a new TPMS sensor fitted.
2. Confirm pressure of COLD tyre and perform Temperature Calibration. See “TPMS temperature calibration” later in this section.
3. Drive the vehicle for several minutes between 25 km/h (16 MPH) and 100 km/h (64 MPH). The TPMS sensor ID and position will automatically be detected.

NOTE

The TPMS might not synchronise if one or more of the following conditions apply:

• Bad road conditions
• The TPMS unit does not receive correct data from tyre pressure sensors
• Driving below 25 km/h (16 MPH)
• Driving above 100 km/h (64 MPH)
• High acceleration
• High deceleration
• In stop and go traffic or traffic waves
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Maybe I'm wrong then haha, ive never actually read the handbook. Only way I've always done it is with diagnostic equipment Even after rotation it take like 10 minutes if that to do. I know fiat and jeep and other manufacturers will program themselves after driving a certain amount but ive never successfully had one calibrate itself with nissan and ive also had qashqais in where its saying tyre pressure sensor fault and in the air its in a different location
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

If the TPMS sensor RFIDs have not been recorded by the car then sensor(s) function/presence is not recognised. Which as mentioned means its a dealer (Consult) job or other capable non OEM tool. Don't know what that tool is. I'd likely speak to the tyre fitter businesses locally and as said my first enquiry last year wasn't helpful. That was ATS Euromaster.

I would expect the on board TPMS to retain at least 8 RFIDS, perhaps more in memory.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta