Stop/Start System Fault Message

ICE, Equipment, Options
simonz1red
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by simonz1red »

Hi All.

We have a 2015 Qashqai 1.2 Dig-t N-tec+ with a mileage of around 41,000. We have owned it now for just over three years.

About a month ago a “Stop/Start System Fault” appeared on the dash and the Stop/Start stopped working (see photo). No other Fault showed at the same time and the car continued to perform perfectly OK.

We had a diagnostic check done and it revealed a “P0090 CRNT Fuel Pressure Regulator 1” fault. No work was carried out and the computer was cleared of the Fault Code. The car was then driven with the Stop/Start manually turned off for each journey.

A month later the same Fault has re-appeared on the dash and a further diagnostic check came up with the same fault code (see photo). Again, the car has continued to drive perfectly well.

If the fault was serious surely the computer would have shown it again long before the month had lapsed?

The battery was replaced about 2.5 years ago and is the correct one for the Stop/Start.

Does anyone else have any experience of this same Fault? Does anyone know how to cure it?

Diagnostic (JPG).jpg

Dash Photo.jpg

Nick_Precision

Post by Nick_Precision »

You have Fuel pump, pressure regulator and sensor to look into. Considering that all other electrical issues are eliminated ( e.g. bad earthing or snapped cable)
I don’t think that anyone can bet on which component is failing…
A diagnostic tool may help before you start throwing money at the dealer
I watch youtube to learn different error codes and systems…
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta J11A
simonz1red

Post by simonz1red »

Hi Nick. Thanks for your helpful response. After speaking to a Nissan guy my mechanic is intending to firstly replace the fuel rail temperature sensor but that in itself is a job and a half! Before he does it I'm doing a 500 mile round trip this weekend so fingers crossed the fault doesn't get worse but, as I said originally, the car hasn't missed a beat since the fault first showed itself on the dash.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

From the diagnostics I've seen P0090 is flagged on over or under fuel pressure values by the ECU. That tends to point to Fuel Pump and/or pressure sensing. The ECU likely cannot maintain command over a band of fuel control parameters...different loads.

It appears to be a bit awkward trying to pinpoint the problem. I suspect the fuel line components would need to be bench tested. Some manufacturers would have life data on such components and condemn them at particular mileages. BMW does for instance on fuel control valves.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Nick_Precision

Post by Nick_Precision »

If it was myself, I would attach fuel pressure gauge get the car in normal working temperature and then rev the engine to make sure fuel with the right pressure is delivered in all range of rpms. The same time pressure sensors data can be monitored and recorded as well.

The worse it gets the better, that will show where to look at, and eventually it will lead to the right component which needs changing...
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta J11A
simonz1red

Post by simonz1red »

Hi Calnorth and Nick

Thanks guys for your input and advice, which I will pass on to my mechanic.

Simon
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

As far as I'm aware I've never seen a fuel tempreture sensor on this engine.. ive changed many of these but have never seen one im like 85 percent sure there isnt one.. and also that print out isn't from a dealer if it is there not using nissan software also there is no low byte data after the code which would help see if the fault is caused by pressure below or above threshold or invalid signal ect..

I take it the vehicle drove fine for the month after the fault was cleared ?

In November 2017 nissan released an engine ecu update for diagnosis improvement for this dtc p0090.. im not sure what they did with the software but I hazard a guess is that they have opened up the tolerance as fuel pump wears it can work outside the tolerances that was set with software at specific times and only briefly, it could just be its a little bit slower than what it was when it was new.

But anyway I'd check if the software is up to date within the ECM before you go forking out for a new fuel pump.

If you can supply me with the software number within the ecu then I can check for you
simonz1red

Post by simonz1red »

Hi Lewis

Apologies for my late response to your very helpful and informative response.

The car drove perfectly during the month after the fault was cleared. It has also driven perfectly since it was cleared the second time and this included a journey to and from Shrewsbury earlier this week (over 500 miles in total).

Please excuse my ignorance but how do I find out "the software number within the ecu"?

Simon
DJFox26

Post by DJFox26 »

Hi Simon,

I recently came across, what sounds like, the same issue.

Just wondering if there was an outcoming for you?

Thanks Dan
CloLilley2424

Post by CloLilley2424 »

Im also experiencing the same fault! I bought my car from a dealer (2015 plate) so not brand new, in April and had this fault appear in august. The dealer is looking in to replacing the sensors but my brother whos a mechanic doesnt think it will solve the issue!