Brake hold assist.

ICE, Equipment, Options
Squashy2
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Squashy2 »

calnorth wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:13 am When you bring the car onto your drive and no Hold lights show (white/green)..is the car physically holding anyway?
Only holding by the brake pedal, if I take my foot off, in theory if I was on a incline it would roll back. I've tried pushing hard on the brake pedal but to no avail. I just turn off the ignition with first gear selected as I've done in every car and the handbrake automatically comes on.

One thing I have noticed with all this electronic wizardry is I cannot put the car into just first gear with no handbrake, we live in a very wet and damp part of the country and if the car is left undriven for just a few days to a week the brake pads stick to the discs, my other two cars all have just the gear engaged and no handbrake, they can sit for weeks or months and no binding/sticking.
Something I'll have to live with I guess.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)

Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

rogertr7 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:25 am Silly question but I assume you not taken your seatbelt off have you, as this appears to disable the autobrake
Seatbelt on, that's the last thing I do before exiting the car after removing the key and remembering to try and not scratch the black plastic trim over the door handle with the key :o
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

Squashy2 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:40 pm
rogertr7 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:25 am Silly question but I assume you not taken your seatbelt off have you, as this appears to disable the autobrake
Seatbelt on, that's the last thing I do before exiting the car after removing the key and remembering to try and not scratch the black plastic trim over the door handle with the key :o
I've just double checked, yes seat belt doesn't make a difference in my case, but I have just realised by trying this that with the engine running if the seat belt is released the handbrake automatically comes on. Another Nissan Easter egg found 👍
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Trying to work out what I do and observe with Auto Hold (AH). Think its :

Foot Brake - car to a halt
Gear - select neutral
Clutch Out
Engine running

Above is anytime except engine OFF

I do feel the foot brake pedal lower slightly under my foot (pressure) as AH applies.
Green light - AH ON

Not sure what happens with the White lamp but think its ON all the time AH is selected? Will check later
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

You can leave the car in gear and leave the handbrake off.

Turn the car off and let the auto handbrake come on

Don't press any pedals turn the ignition on

Foot on brake pedal and release the handbrake and hold the handbrake button down and keep it held down dont release it.

Remove your foot off the brake pedal

Turn the ignition off

Then release the handbrake switch

Handbrake will stay off and make sure its in gear

If it rolls away it aint my fault haha
Last edited by lewisbryant on Sun May 16, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

lewisbryant wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:06 am You can leave the car in gear and leave the handbrake off.

Foot on brake pedal and release the handbrake and hold the handbrake button down

Turn the ignition off

Thank you for this information, I wasn't aware that this can be done, I'll try it later and it could save the brakes sticking on, not leaving the house daily as working from home during the C-19 doesn't help much either.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

lewisbryant wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:06 am You can leave the car in gear and leave the handbrake off.

Foot on brake pedal and release the handbrake and hold the handbrake button down

Turn the ignition off

Lewis.... Do you know where technical info on Auto Hold can be viewed for the J11b. J11a diagnostics (US) only covers handbrake, and not that enlightening either.

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
lewisbryant

Post by lewisbryant »

I edited it again to make it a bit more clear haha.

Hi Colin, only place I know of is through the nissan portal but that obviously costs.

I have an xtrail with auto hold and I have a flat drive way and mine applies as normal, as long as drivers seatbelt is still on it should work, I've never just seen it dissapper. Once it's on white it should be ready to use, for it to dissappear is odd, I have heard of one case where it can turn itself off if start stop activates and battery voltage drops below a certain level.but thats about it .
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

lewisbryant wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:43 pm I edited it again to make it a bit more clear haha.

Hi Colin, only place I know of is through the nissan portal but that obviously costs.

I have an xtrail with auto hold and I have a flat drive way and mine applies as normal, as long as drivers seatbelt is still on it should work, I've never just seen it dissapper. Once it's on white it should be ready to use, for it to dissappear is odd, I have heard of one case where it can turn itself off if start stop activates and battery voltage drops below a certain level.but thats about it .
As regards Start/Stop (SS) activation ...that takes quite a while to execute (multiple conditions) and where the foot brake is held down AH has operated faster than SS. Evidenced by the slight sinking of the foot brake pedal. There appears to be an extra piece of logic used for AH that isolates it from PB.

I assume when SS executes Park Brake (PB) overrides AH since the engine is cut. I've never studied that as I despise SS and always switch it OFF. I suspect AH and PB are the same function anyway.

Schematic shows CAN bus link relating to ABS unit and 2 separate wired brake motor drives. From US J11a diagnostics

Scree17.png

Last edited by calnorth on Mon May 17, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
lewisbryant

Post by lewisbryant »

In my opinion I've never been able to feel auto hold when pressing the brake pedal, abs module is just holding the pressure you have applied originally to hold the vehicle stationary and just releases it when you take up drive.

When the park brake is applied then I agree you can feel the dip in the pedal due to the force of the motor clamping the rear pistons on to the disc with more force than your applying like its pulling the pedal down slightly.