I just received a Stop Start System Fault - O2 Sensor Error..SOLVED

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

TBH with my car at 15.5Kmiles and vintage 2017 I didn't expect this event. So I get the SS System Error and orange EML....and that alone.

Benefit No 1. Stop/Start now fails to operate and leaves me in peace..... :lol: Car appears to run normally with less complication.

1st Observation: (Day 1)
Stop/Start indicator Lamp Blinking (Not blink = No malfunction)
No other faults visible by eye.....hope scanner can pick up all DTCs raised

1st OBD Scan: (Day 2)
PERMANENT (errors):
P0037 - H02S Heater Control Circuit Low
P0138 - O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage

If those DTC's are correct then fault according to the internet is any one or more of these..Wiring, H02S heater, ECM, Fuel/Intake, Injector.

We know something about this O2 sensor game I think. If memory serves its the heating of same thats been a problem.

I'm using an OBDLink LX Bluetooth Scanner which may be able to monitor the O2 sensor function?

Repair Decision: (Day 3)

Considered booking into distant Nissan garage..No. Decided to use nearby ATS Euromaster as I know them. So next Tues its a diagnostic with a Bosch KTS200 Scanner of theirs. Hopefully it'll confirm my generic scanner detection as above. The DTC definitions shown above relate to an MR20DD 2L petrol engine which is not my 1.6 and hopefully (again) there has been an SAE standard applied.... :shock:

Interesting that its a Bosch Scanner because I expect most of the vehicle electronics (ECU etc) is from Bosch...Nissan don't design/produce that stuff.

Repair Decision: (Day 4)

Bosch OBD Tester above at Euromaster confirmed my findings with a generic scanner. Fault is on Heated O2 Sensor that is installed after the Cat Converter. Being identified as Bank 1, Sensor 2. Have not tested the sensor but suspect the heater element has failed. That prevents the sensor working at the correct temperature..approx 300 deg C.

Now considering whether to replace it myself or goto Nissan. Am unsure of the re installation setup procedure which relates to the ECU learning the performance characteristics of a new HO2 sensor (H = Heated).

The procedure relates to running the engine from normal running temperature..approx 3k revs for 2 minutes. I had done similar on a BMW some years ago...successfully.
Last edited by calnorth on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

DeeCo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by DeeCo »

I have exactly the same fault just occur on mine. Similar miles 14,000 strangely this has just turned 5yrs old and the OEM specs says they have a 5yr lifespan. I thought it might be Silicone contamination as I added RedEx a tank ago, since this E10 started, but RedEx doesn't contain any silicones. :?:

Bank1 Sensor 2 failure pre heat.

Im trying to find where this sensor lives, I believe its under the car and is between the Catalyst and what looks like a small middle muffler.or is that another catalyst?

All the reading says its post CAT, but this sensor is in-between. Any help as the part is £117 at Euro parts or £ £61 on AutoDoc.
DeeCo

Post by DeeCo »

OBD diagnostic of O2 banks

Screenshot_20220820-174405_Torque.jpg

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Its a simple electrical heater element failure...not the O2 sensing element itself. So the sensor is not able to get up to temperature and operate (switch on). Wrong response here and the ECU will flick up the orange MIL (Check Engine). Redex won't effect this as the heater is a resistor element embedded within the sensor internals.

The O2 sensor is positioned just after the Cat before the muffler, there is only one CAT. Not sure exactly where the sensor is as not looked. It'll be in a damned awkward place anyway...:roll: Follow on down from the exhaust manifold to the CAT. No 1 O2 sensor can be seen on the top of the exhaust manifold and that is for direct air/fuel mix whereas No 2 sensor (now faulty) is to check Cat performance.

I assume that its a Bosch type (post Cat) downstream sensor. I'm letting a local Auto Electrician do the replacement job next week. The EuroCarParts sensor for £115.04 states that it is a post Cat sensor...wonder how they know?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
DeeCo

Post by DeeCo »

I bought the £67 O2 sensor on AutoDOC. After tax, delivery and insurance, £78.50

Nissan main stealers wanted £427 + Vat.
£100 diagnostic
£227 for O2 sensor
£100+ for 1-2 hrs labour 😲

I put car on a set of ramps, slid a board underneath, found the sensor just after the skid plates . Popped off the connector, used a 22mm open spanner to loosen old one. Unscrewed, and replaced with new, reattached the connector. Sensor comes with a Cap cover with grease already applied to thread.

Logged into Torque OBD bluetooth app via a BT OBD2 dongle (£16 total for app and Reader) Cleared the code, started up and Jobs done

All done in less than 15 minutes.👍

£348.50 saved.
Last edited by DeeCo on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DeeCo

Post by DeeCo »

This is the part I changed.

BOSCH Lambda Sensor in the AUTODOC app https://m.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/15807269
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

DeeCo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:25 pm I bought the £67 O2 sensor on AutoDOC. After tax, delivery and insurance, £78.50

Nissan main stealers wanted £427 + Vat.
£100 diagnostic
£227 for O2 sensor
£100+ for 1-2 hrs labour 😲

I put car on a set of ramps, slid a board underneath, found the sensor just after the skid plates . Popped off the connector, used a 22mm open spanner to loosen old one. Unscrewed, and replaced with new, reattached the connector. Sensor comes with a Cap cover with grease already applied to thread.

Logged into Torque OBD bluetooth app via a BT OBD2 dongle (£16 total for app and Reader) Cleared the code, started up and Jobs done

All done in less than 15 minutes.👍

£348.50 saved.

Local Auto Electrician fixed mine 2 days ago:

Diagnostics (on my driveway)...£60. Confirmed inactive downstream O2 sensor as per my DTCs mentioned above.
Replacement O2 Sensor (Bosch).....£90
Add VAT = Tot £180 (nod and a..... ;) )

That included labour and driven off drive to local garage and returned same day (5 hours). Time is mainly related to getting the part delivered to the garage.

Thanks for the Nissan pricing info, it doesn't surprise me.....actually I am :shock: ...... In days of old I would have done the job myself.

Heavily ramping up the price of a simple sensor that I believe Nissan does not manufacture is truly evil.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Gel

Post by Gel »

Scotty Kilmer doesn't recommend China made 02 sensors incidentally. Many no name 02 sensors
are nowhere near the quality of an OEM sensor.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D