Is new QQ vulnerable to relay theft?

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
tonythehoolet
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by tonythehoolet »

Hi,

Does anyone know if Nissan upgraded the security of the new QQ to make it less vulnerable to relay theft? My understanding is that the old model was vulnerable to relay theft but I don't know if Nissan updated the security on the new one and of we still need to store keys in Faraday bags.
We have a Tekna. It unlocks when approached with the key and when the pushbutton on the door handle is pressed.

More broadly, I don't know whether the fact that there are 2 steps (proximity + push button) makes it inherently more secure than cars where there is no button to press? ... on my Jaguar (which is definitely vulnerable to relay theft) I simply approach the car and pull the handle.

Thanks

hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

I believe the latest J12 has motion sensing fobs which deactivate themselves when not moving. Many manufacturers use this as a way to try and defeat relay theft as there is no signal to grab if the fobs have deactivated themselves.
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021
tonythehoolet

Post by tonythehoolet »

OK - thanks. I'd heard that Ford had introduced motion activated fobs but didn't know Nissan had too. Good to know.
hootintootin

Post by hootintootin »

tonythehoolet wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:26 pm OK - thanks. I'd heard that Ford had introduced motion activated fobs but didn't know Nissan had too. Good to know.
I think the very latest J12, with the slightly bigger info screen and a revised badge on the front, are coming with slightly different fobs that contain the motion sensing electronics. I haven't actually seen any myself.

Volvo introduced fobs like this a couple of years ago and allowed a relatively cheap swap out to existing customers.

Still keep my fobs in a faraday box
QQ Tekna AWD Xtronic ordered Aug 2021and arrived Dec 2021