J12 Start stop power surge

General / Ordering Forum for the new 2021 (J12) Qashqai
xaote
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by xaote »

srbqashqai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:52 pm I'm on CVT as well, couldn't that update be seen on the infotainment screen when you list software version?

This is mine for example.

Or this us only infotainment software that has nothing to do with the ecu version?
I don't think it would have anything to do with it but I'm not 100% sure.
J12 Acenta Premium 158 Xtronic

srbqashqai

Post by srbqashqai »

xaote wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:20 am I am pleased to report a trip to the dealership for an update has resolved this stop/start surge issue.
I had it done a while ago but I wanted to test the system in all conditions before I posted.
The service manager was very coy about the details of the update.

Please note my car is the xtronic cvt gearbox so I can't say if this is a fix for MT cars.
Hi i reached out to my dealer and they told me that nobody complained in my region so they have no idea which chip should they upgrade/reprogram as there is like 30 of them in the car.

Could you please reach out to your dealer and write here which ECU/chip did they had to upgrade to fix the problem so we can all pass the info to our dealers?

Thanks in advance!
J12 Tekna Xtronic
xaote

Post by xaote »

srbqashqai wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:30 am
xaote wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:20 am I am pleased to report a trip to the dealership for an update has resolved this stop/start surge issue.
I had it done a while ago but I wanted to test the system in all conditions before I posted.
The service manager was very coy about the details of the update.

Please note my car is the xtronic cvt gearbox so I can't say if this is a fix for MT cars.
Hi i reached out to my dealer and they told me that nobody complained in my region so they have no idea which chip should they upgrade/reprogram as there is like 30 of them in the car.

Could you please reach out to your dealer and write here which ECU/chip did they had to upgrade to fix the problem so we can all pass the info to our dealers?

Thanks in advance!
I gave them a call this afternoon to see if I could find out more and was put through to the technician that did the car.
He was really helpful but unfortunately he wasn't able to give me exact details of the update.
As he explained, because my car was delivered early April, he said there may have been a few software changes since then.

When I first contacted the dealership about the fault, they initially wanted to take the car for a drive but I explained they could drive it around for an afternoon and it might not happen once so that's why they took it in to check for any ecu updates first, if that didn't fix the problem, then they would take the car out to try to replicate the fault.
I have to say, they were really helpful about the whole thing.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edit. The car showed no fault codes and I was also told they weren't aware of the problem
srbqashqai

Post by srbqashqai »

Thank you very much that you tried.
Because I got a call from my technician and he explained it to me that it doesn't make sense to him to update all the ecu's that exist as diagnostics won't show any error obviously.
So I thought maybe you can get the info what did the update exactly.

Thanks for trying anyway, I really appriciate it.
J12 Tekna Xtronic
eppiedutch

Post by eppiedutch »

Hi, reply from a Dutch Qashqai J12 owner.

I have driven my QQ (model comparable to Accenta Premium with XTronic) as of mid March 2022 for about 10.000 miles now, and I am unfortunately very familiar with the power surges when coming to a stand-still (during parking or at a traffic light). Besides very annoying I find this behavior also to be a safety issue.
Think about the situations where you are moving around back and forth in narrow parking spaces and you might inadvertently hit the car in front of you, or - which actually has happened to me - when you are coming to a stop before a pedestrian's crossing, and the car suddenly jumps forward towards the terrified pedestrians.

So I have informed my local dealer about this a few weeks after getting my new car, and they have "updated the software of both the engine and clutch". No more details were supplied.

I have indeed noticed that the problem has diminished, but unfortunately not yet completely disappeared. In other words, I am still sometimes unpleasantly surprised by the 'power surges' (and I still notice occasionally that the drivetrain is unsettled, and jerks or responds very abruptly to the throttle, which is another issue) but find them to happen less frequently than before, and when they happen they seem to be less violent.

Deactivating the start-stop system (which unfortunately needs to be done every trip) solves the problem obviously, so whenever I think of it, that's the 1st thing I do at the start of a trip.
Good solution? No. Easy and pragmatic fix? Yes.

I am still waiting for Nissan to eradicate this issue 100% ...
xaote

Post by xaote »

eppiedutch wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:27 pm Hi, reply from a Dutch Qashqai J12 owner.

I have driven my QQ (model comparable to Accenta Premium with XTronic) as of mid March 2022 for about 10.000 miles now, and I am unfortunately very familiar with the power surges when coming to a stand-still (during parking or at a traffic light). Besides very annoying I find this behavior also to be a safety issue.
Think about the situations where you are moving around back and forth in narrow parking spaces and you might inadvertently hit the car in front of you, or - which actually has happened to me - when you are coming to a stop before a pedestrian's crossing, and the car suddenly jumps forward towards the terrified pedestrians.

So I have informed my local dealer about this a few weeks after getting my new car, and they have "updated the software of both the engine and clutch". No more details were supplied.

I have indeed noticed that the problem has diminished, but unfortunately not yet completely disappeared. In other words, I am still sometimes unpleasantly surprised by the 'power surges' (and I still notice occasionally that the drivetrain is unsettled, and jerks or responds very abruptly to the throttle, which is another issue) but find them to happen less frequently than before, and when they happen they seem to be less violent.

Deactivating the start-stop system (which unfortunately needs to be done every trip) solves the problem obviously, so whenever I think of it, that's the 1st thing I do at the start of a trip.
Good solution? No. Easy and pragmatic fix? Yes.

I am still waiting for Nissan to eradicate this issue 100% ...
Hi Eppie.
When did they do the update for you?
By Reading your post, it sounds like that was done a few of weeks into ownership.
I'm guessing here, but perhaps there has been another update since yours was done last.
eppiedutch

Post by eppiedutch »

The updates were done on 25th of May by my local Nissan dealer (about 10 weeks into ownership).

Perhaps since that date new updates for this issue have been released, but in my experience - with other car dealerships - just asking them won't get me satisfactory answers.
They'll probably want me to bring the car over to them, and check for themselves what the issue is and what solutions they know of.

Hope this helps, cheers.
Smithy14

Post by Smithy14 »

I have a manual premiere edition and noticed a similar pattern when I come to a complete stop and release the clutch pedal the engine almost cuts out then sits at idle ? The car is currently in the dealership and has been for almost 3 weeks with other issues including a new master cylinder which is on back order !!
xavpiq

Post by xavpiq »

Smithy14 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:59 pm I have a manual premiere edition and noticed a similar pattern when I come to a complete stop and release the clutch pedal the engine almost cuts out then sits at idle ? The car is currently in the dealership and has been for almost 3 weeks with other issues including a new master cylinder which is on back order !!
I understand the issue in CVT models, but not with manual... When you come to a stop you have two possible options: either press the clutch or put in nuetral and coast (I do this usually). And in both cases you shouldn't be sensitive to whatever the engine does as it is not geared in.
Qashqai J12 N-Connecta, 140 hp manual.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Hi everyone, I currently have a post about my J12 CVT Qashqai.

For those of you who have not read it I have texted my car because of the power surges linked to the stop start. My stop start have never worked!! It’s now approaching 8 months old and it’s still being addressed by West Ways Nissan. I have had everything updated and parts replaced to no joy. I’m told Japan has no fix for this. This is what West Ways told me however it’s been mentioned by Nissan Uk that it is a characteristic of the car 🤔🤔. I’ve challenged this from day one because the stop start has never worked and no one can get it to work. So it does not take a rocket scientist to know it can’t possibly be a characteristic of my car as we have test drive others and none are like mine !!

The a stress I’ve been given by Nissan customer service is beyond a joke. My reply from then was very short and very patronising.

If your car suffers the same then report it and challenge Nissan!