Qashqai J11 Coolant Reducing with no leaks. HELP!!

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
razaakif
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by razaakif »

Buffy wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:33 am OK - so if the logical has been checked - lets try the illogical route.

Have you only recently become the owner of this vehicle.

When you "top up " the coolant - are you filling it to the very top - or to the max mark.

This is not meant to be insulting to you , but the logical route for water loss apart from the water pump bearing passing liquid at high temperature , has been explored by you
That’s okay man. I bought this car a year ago. No problem at all. Garage has done pressure test on cooling system and they claim no leak. Head gasket test came out negative. The only way I can think of could be water pump or expansion tank. I fill it to max level indicator

Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

OK thanks for the clarity

Next I would remove some covers on the front of the engine ( pulley side ) and look for a coolant stain
razaakif

Post by razaakif »

Buffy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:58 pm OK thanks for the clarity

Next I would remove some covers on the front of the engine ( pulley side ) and look for a coolant stain
So the head gasket is blown. Just had it diagnosed. Do you know where to take it and how much would it cost roughly?
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

So after other garages checking and saying the headgasket was ok - how was it diagnosed.
Was it a case of the symptoms fit and that must be the fault ?

As to where to take it - your location is unknown.

When I was younger - I would go cheap and local.
Now Im older and wiser - I would go to the main dealer as you have recourse if something goes wrong - and they will use genuine parts.

Up to you Im afraid
dalyoftelford
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by dalyoftelford »

I’ve got exactly the same problem on my j10b
razaakif

Post by razaakif »

Buffy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:59 am So after other garages checking and saying the headgasket was ok - how was it diagnosed.

Now Im older and wiser - I would go to the main dealer as you have recourse if something goes wrong - and they will use genuine parts.

Up to you Im afraid
I live in london. Yeah I took it to one garage and just by looking at oil cap , he said it’s gasket. Then I took it to another one and he said it’s not gasket. It’s something else. I have appointment on Tuesday with Nissan. I’m gonna get wiser and take it to dealership
razaakif

Post by razaakif »

Buffy wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:59 am So after other garages checking and saying the headgasket was ok - how was it diagnosed.

Up to you Im afraid
So took it to nissan and they confirmed leak in combustion chamber
razaakif

Post by razaakif »

Oil pump was the main culprit to cause the gasket to fail which eventually caused turbo to go out as well.

Up to you Im afraid

E865EA4C-9B8D-492A-990C-6D63A6F99A02.jpeg

BillyBuff

Post by BillyBuff »

When you say turbo to go as well.. did you have to replace the turbo? that won't have been cheap?

I'm having the same issue, and had the initial issue where the temp gauge went up to the red.. first time, but very random.

One thing I did notice was the lack of power when in low revs and as a higher gear pulling away. I've had 3 garages take a look, all non gasket mechanics. This could be both gasket and turbo by the feel of it
razaakif wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:07 pm Oil pump was the main culprit to cause the gasket to fail which eventually caused turbo to go out as well.

Up to you Im afraid
lgayuchan
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by lgayuchan »

I have QQ+2 2013 having problem with coolant decreasing. Approx 100 ml top up for roughly 20 miles run. I took to a garage but they could not find any leak anywhere, oil ok, no white smoke on tail pipe, pressure test is ok so was advise to continue using it and bring it back if loosing coolant continues. It was due for its yearly service in a months time so I book in to my local garage(another garage). My car then had its service and told them about the issue of still loosing coolant, has topped up more than a liter of genuine Nissan coolant and run about 150 miles. I was told thermostat might be the problem so was changed. Have to bring the car back to the garage as still loosing coolant another checks done but couldn’t find any faults, they suggested K seal or steel seal even if it passed the pressure test so I opt out for the more expensive one which is the steel seal hoping it will magically resolve the problem. Went to work and overheated on the motorway, breakdown called and brought to the Nissan Garage. I was told they could not find any leak and thermostat is faulty maybe due to steel seal so was replaced, cooling system was flushed to get rid of remaining steel seal. Car was test drive and said ok. Have to bring the car back to Nissan after a day with same reason of loosing coolant and coolant reservoir getting too hot with only a 10 minute short drive approx 3 miles. One more thing I noticed is that coolant level goes down below the minimum level after I run the car and when I opened reservoir cap after it cools down, there was air pressure being released and a bit of coolant fills up the reservoir to a level just above the minimum level. Now Nissan suggested replacing the radiator as it might have clogged up by the steel seal which I agreed as well as re flushing the cooling system for the second time. I was called to go and Collect the car as it was all sorted. To my disbelief it did not and now another issue has popped up! Car heater is not blowing hot maybe just slight warm after 12 miles - 15 minutes run. If I had known this problem I would have opt out onto looking for a newer one. I am stuck because I have spent a lot of un budgeted money to this car for changing major parts like suspension arms, brakes & discs, tyres and it all happened this year. Sorry for the long story, I just hope I can find similar issues in this forum and they have it resolved.