Leaking Coolant

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
OneLegSkank
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by OneLegSkank » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:53 pm

Hi all,
Had a little browse around the forums but can't seem to find the right answer. My '09 1.5 J10 seems to have sprung a coolant leak but I can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from, the reservoir is now completely empty after a half hour drive. It's doesn't seem to be from the radiator but more further back, maybe engine?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

OneLegSkank
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by OneLegSkank » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:44 pm

Upon further inspection it also looks like it's mostly wet up the back of the engine, but still can't pinpoint what the cause of the leak is.

andy2019
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:47 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:41 pm

is it dripping on to the ground while the engine is running. you could try to use radweld in the system and see if that stops the leak for you

User avatar
gloucester
Posts: 4734
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 am
Location: Gloucestershire, England
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:55 am

Welcome to this forum.

Can't help any more I'm afraid.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07

OneLegSkank
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by OneLegSkank » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:17 pm

andy2019 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:41 pm
is it dripping on to the ground while the engine is running. you could try to use radweld in the system and see if that stops the leak for you
Sorry, been a mental week and only just getting a chance to look at the car again, yeah it's leaking whilst engine is running then continues for a few minutes after the engine is off. From what I can see one of the hoses at the rear right of the engine is quite wet but difficult to say without taking bits out to gain access.

May try some leak sealer though.

andy2019
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:47 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:17 pm

it may be a loose pipe that just needs tightning up or it may have have a small split in it

Buffy
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 am
Location: Telford UK
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Buffy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:31 am

Please dont put any sealer in the system - it can clog things up.
Find the leak and fix it , even if you need to remove a few bits and pieces

The sealer wont fix a leaking pipe , be it rubber or plastic
2020 Quasqai 1.3DiG-T 140 Tekna in Gunmetal Grey
2020 Qashqai 1.3DIG-T 160 Tekna in Vivid Blue
Previous : 2016 Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Gunmetal Grey
Previous : 2016 Qashqai N-Connector 1.5 Diesel - Pearl Black
Former BMW Master Technician

andy2019
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:47 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:04 pm

Buffy wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:31 am
Please dont put any sealer in the system - it can clog things up.
Find the leak and fix it , even if you need to remove a few bits and pieces

The sealer wont fix a leaking pipe , be it rubber or plastic
you may want to let holts know that it won`t fix hoses, as according to them it does :lol:
https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/radweld-plus/

Buffy
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 am
Location: Telford UK
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Buffy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:59 am

andy2019 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:04 pm
Buffy wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:31 am
Please dont put any sealer in the system - it can clog things up.
Find the leak and fix it , even if you need to remove a few bits and pieces

The sealer wont fix a leaking pipe , be it rubber or plastic
you may want to let holts know that it won`t fix hoses, as according to them it does :lol:
https://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/radweld-plus/
What do you think - a split is a split :D :D
2020 Quasqai 1.3DiG-T 140 Tekna in Gunmetal Grey
2020 Qashqai 1.3DIG-T 160 Tekna in Vivid Blue
Previous : 2016 Qashqai Acenta Premium 1.2 DiG-T - Gunmetal Grey
Previous : 2016 Qashqai N-Connector 1.5 Diesel - Pearl Black
Former BMW Master Technician

andy2019
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:47 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:02 am

We still don't know whats wrong with his car yet apart from it,s leaking from somewhere lol 💧

Post Reply

  • You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post