Nissan Qashqai J10 2007 MR20DE stall test gives only 1700RPM

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
RJ12
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by RJ12 »

Dear people,

I've bought a Qashqai J10 MR20DE CVT 2007 five months ago. I reported to the selling garage how slowly it accelerates from standstill, unless I rev it to near 3000 RPM or above, and how RPM consistently rises (and then drops as if engine-braking) after releasing the accelerator on level stretches.

A stall test as described in the factory service manual (page TM-316, full brake and full accelerator for less than 5 seconds) gives me a max of 1700 stalling RPM in D gear. Then, after requisite idling in neutral for one minute (cooling), I get the same 1700 RPM stall speed occuring in R gear also.
I read in the manual the normal stall RPM should be 2500-3000 RPM for CVT models, though I'm surprised they don't specify differently for different engines.

Now I wonder, if anyone else did a stall test for the J10 2.0 petrol CVT and what values did they get.
Is it normal to achieve only 1700 RPM (instead of 2500-3000) during this full brake/gas test?

I suspected the torque converter as per the "judgement" guidelines and mentioned that to the garage. The garage looked at the issue, found defects in the CVT transmission instead, They even replaced it under warrantee. While I appreciate their service, I continue to be surprised that I still only get a max of 1700 RPM stall speed, even with the new transmission. The acceleration is a bit better and even cruising RPM at high speed is a bit lower now (2500rpm vs 3000rpm at 78mph).
So, I'd really like to know: is 1700 the normal stall RPM for the MR20DE CVT petrol Qashqai J10? during a braking/accelerating stall test.
Could it be another issue? Looking forward to your answers and results. Many thanks.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

RJ

Welcome to the forum.

I've never even heard of a stall test, let alone performed one.

There are two types of owners on here - clueless technophobes (like what I am) and some genuinely switched in mechanically minded types - hopefully one of them will be along soon.

Good Luck
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
QashqaiSilver

Post by QashqaiSilver »

I nearly bought a Qashqai with the CVT gearbox; I read the reviews of them before and then stayed well clear. I knew over the years in the 80's and 90's many manufactures had various problems with CVT gearboxes, judging by the issues that I have seen with the Qashqai they have not been sorted and imo would avoid at all costs.
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta
RJ12

Post by RJ12 »

QashqaiSilver wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:02 am I nearly bought a Qashqai with the CVT gearbox; I read the reviews of them before and then stayed well clear. I knew over the years in the 80's and 90's many manufactures had various problems with CVT gearboxes, judging by the issues that I have seen with the Qashqai they have not been sorted and imo would avoid at all costs.
I'm driving CVT gearboxes since 1999, and had nothing but a consistently blissful experience. I still feel no need to shy away from CVTs. Until 2021 I drove only Primeras. So predictably I now got a Qashqai with a CVT too (since Primeras got replaced by Qashqais). This Qashqai transmission is supposed to be a newer improved version compared to Primera ones. The CVT itself is a non-issue, especially since it got fixed and works well while cruising, I'm just trying to understand why I'm getting a lower than specification stall RPM on the torque convertern. So I've been suspecting the Torque converter itself or engine power issues, blockages, etc. If anyone experienced a similar stall test result, I'd really like to know about it. Stall test should never last more than 5 seconds, if anyone is thinking of doing one now and wait more than a minute in idle before trying it again.
RJ12

Post by RJ12 »

So people, the mystery has finally been solved. It so happens that Nissan has updated software in their cars. Apparently it is no longer possible to do a stall test with foot pedal and gas pedal fully and simultaneously pressed. There seems to be some sort of "brake-throttle override" function that's been implemented across the board on all Nissans as a safety feature. It reads such a situation as a stuck gas pedal and overrides the engine power. It thus prohibits full power (electronically cuts the throttle) when you press both the pedals.
So I did the stall test using the handbrake and wheel-chocks instead. Low and behold, I now achieve a proper stall RPM of 2550, as per the Factory service manual specs (2500-3000).
I'm so happy the problems are fixed. I get proper and smooth power now. I'm happy the garage had granted me a new tranny also at their own expense and did all the extensive diagnostics. So there folks, all's well that ends well.