Front washer jets don't operate - only rear

General Chat about the Mk1 QashQai
thestooge
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by thestooge »

2013 Aus Dualis here, but I assume it is the same model as the UK Qashqai.

Just noticed that the front wiper washers do not spray anything, but the rear washer works when both pulling and pushing the stalk. When pulling the stalk towards you, the front washers should spray. Pushing the stalk away, the rear should spray.

The pump makes an operating sound, so the pump itself seems operational. I have detached the washer tube under the windscreen cowling just before the t-piece valve, and no water sprays out when pulling the stalk, so it doesn't appear to be a blockage in the nozzles, but there still could be a blockage between the pump and t-piece valve.

I have undone the wheel splashguard and it looks like there is only one washer pump with two tubes connected to it. A US Nissan Patrol forum suggests that the pump sends fluid to the front or rear nozzles depending on the switched voltage that is grounded by using the stalk. The symptoms above sound like pulling on the stalk is grounding the pump with the rear-washer voltage, instead of the required front-washer voltage. Or are there valves in the pump that are stuck in the rear washer valve position or something?

Any tips on how to test the voltages grounded with the stalk? Is it as simple as removing the steering column covers and probing with a multimeter? What voltages should I be looking for? I don't want the airbag to blow up in my face....

I've checked some of the steering column wiring diagrams but can't really make sense of them without some advice or guidance...

Any help appreciated, cheers.